DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:00 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:38 am 
Newly registered Member

I am having a rear extension done and one of the beams that is going underneath the rear opening is to be incased in concrete. This beam needed to be left unpainted as per structural drawings and the engineer is adamant about this. I believe it has something to do with concrete being able to bond with steel but not with primer, hence this will affect the strength.

This beam is a UC 203mm x 6.5m in length.

Sandblasting would cost around £800-£900 fromquotes received. I was thinking of using paint stripper. Would this be acceptable? I am thinking of biting the bullet and just getting another beam which would cost around £650. And maybe I can scrap the old one.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:27 am 

Is the beam an existing part of the house?
Or new and supplied with primer?

If its new, id ask the supplier if its possible to take it back and have it shot blasted....machine blasting is 10x faster than hand held shot blasting, doing a beam like that wouldn't take long at all if the facility is available.

Thats a lot of area to strip off to be honest. If it wasnt a shot blasted beam initially, the paint would come off a bit easier than if its was shot blasted and primed.
Depending on the paint used, i'm not too sure how well paint stripper would work. A lot of the newer stuff is water based. All you can do is try. 0
We use mechanical means (blasting/grinding etc to remove paint usually.

The quotes to blast it, I assume they are fairly high due to being mobile facilities? It certainly makes a good mess... often used crushed glass, which gets everywhere.

The old painted beam isn't worth much in 'scrap' but a reasonable length like that could be sold on as reuseable, especially to a farmer of similar.... not so much for building jobs, due to the traceability of the steel and relevant certification.