DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:46 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:07 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I'm struggling to find out what type of screws or the best method of fixing a wooden gate to an existing iron gate frame.

Currently we have an iron gate (garden side gate), to make it less easy to climb over, I'd like to put a wooden gate on the front of it (just one you get ready made from wickes/homebase).

From what I can gather on the internet, do I need a self-tapping screw? and do these need any special drills/driver bits - I currently own just a standard drill.

Thank you for your help.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 am 

Pictures would be lovely......................it makes giving advice much easier. :wink:

I have some of those "off the peg" metal (scroll work) gates at the side of my house and the wife wanted the view obscured. I bolted some 9mm external ply,( roughly cut to the shape of the gate), to the outside of the gate.
The 6mm diameter coach bolts(but gutter bolts would do just as well) go through the wood and have a big washer and nut on the other side at suitable places to contact the scroll work on the metal gate( and stop the bolts puling through). I bought some bolts that were too long and cut them down afterwards. Of course the smooth surface of the ply makes the gate less easy to climb also.

I'm at work at the moment so can't take any pics to show you what I mean................... :-P

In my case all you would need is a drill. Self tapping screws are more suitable for attaching to thin or sheet metal I would have thought. All depends on what type of metal gate you are hoping to attach to.
As you wish to attach a wooden gate, bear in mind that this will probably be quite heavy, and consequently awkward to mount. It will also place extra strain on the hinges/mountings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:27 pm 

I've got a feeling that if the OP is trying to do what I think they are, that is attach a tall wooden gate to a lower metal one, then personally I wouldn't do it. I reckon you'll end up with something that looks wrong, and isn't a very strong job. Far better I would think to hang the wooden gate on it's own hinges.
As Timllfixit says though, photos, and a link to the gate you want to use would be a big help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for the comments so far. Its gone dark outside to take pics, the iron gate looks similar to the one attached, its one of those scroll type gates, its prob 6ft tall.

I've seen the attached wooden gate from homebase for £45. Thought this would be the easiest way to go. Though I've got no clue on how to attach the wooden gate to the metal frame or is it going to be easier to attach the wooden gate to its own hinge - I take it I would need a wooden post to fix to the brickwork and then hinge the gate on the wooden post.

Your help much appreciated.

Attachments:
File comment: homebase wooden gate
223312_R_Z001.jpg
223312_R_Z001.jpg [ 30.73 KiB | Viewed 2536 times ]
File comment: current iron gate looks similar to this
regent-bow-top-wrought-iron-side-garden-gates.jpg
regent-bow-top-wrought-iron-side-garden-gates.jpg [ 17.39 KiB | Viewed 2536 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:48 pm 

Have what screws you like, what will you be screwing into? The metal looks too thin and "facing the wrong way" However, what you could do, is to cut two battens just slightly smaller than the width of the gate. (Two people needed) Hold the wooden gate up on the front of the gate, hold a batten up on the back, screw through the wooden gate into the batten, repeat as required. Wont look that good but its easier than trying to screw into nothing.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:57 am 

I'm inclined to agree with someone-else. You could fix the one gate to the other with battens and wood screws, or for that matter with something like 6mm thick galvanised strapping and nuts and bolts, but it ain't going to look all that pretty.

If you already have hook type hinges in the wall, then you might be able to find "bands" that would screw to the gate allowing it to be dropped on to the existing. You'd need a suitable catch as well. Otherwise as you say it's fix a timber post to the wall to hang the gate off and another to give somewhere to fix the catch. Although again, you may be able to use the existing fixed part of the catch depending on what's there.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : howardino
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:38 pm 

This is what I did. It looks a bit scabby as it was about 15 years ago now! Just marine/External ply and it has lasted without treatment. I dare say yours would look better. The pictures are simply to illustrate the principle. The large washers sit where the metal work comes together and thus fixes quite securely. Normal nuts are fine, and they will not come undone as they will soon rust.
Of course if you painted the ply then it would last even longer. Ply would probably work out cheaper than a gate, and with the money you save you could buy yourself a jigsaw to cut the curve(and you would have it for your next project.......)

"I take it I would need a wooden post to fix to the brickwork and then hinge the gate on the wooden post. "

If you mean another post along side the existing one that won't work. If the two gates are fixed together they will both try to travel in different arcs, but the centres will be in different places so they will not open fully. If at all.

Of course you could always take down the iron gate, fix it onto the wooden one, and then hang the wooden one back up.

Attachments:
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG [ 260.91 KiB | Viewed 2459 times ]
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0492.JPG [ 283.49 KiB | Viewed 2459 times ]

For this message the author Timllfixit has received gratitude : howardino
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great responses and ideas.

Timllfixit, thats exactly the sort of thing I'm trying to do with a similar type iron gate.

I hadn't thought about using ply - more probably because I'm a complete noob at these sorts of things.

Good idea, I'll look into it, so I can just pick up some external ply from wickes etc and then cut it to the shape required and use some bolts and nuts to fix to the iron gate at various places where the iron scrolls meet.

I've seen some of these iron-wood gates around (pics attached - back and front are of different gates), they seem to be quite fashionable these days, I was thinking maybe I could achieve a similar sort of look (probably won't look anywhere near as professional). If I cut the wood cut just short of the iron frame of the gate and treat the wood with some varnish. I can't figure out what fixings they have used to fix the wood to the iron, any ideas?

Attachments:
9185ae2c906a39b88460c7758adf77d3.jpg
9185ae2c906a39b88460c7758adf77d3.jpg [ 99.2 KiB | Viewed 2426 times ]
efren-wood-and-iron-door-with-coded-lock-1200x1600.jpg
efren-wood-and-iron-door-with-coded-lock-1200x1600.jpg [ 514.79 KiB | Viewed 2426 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:34 pm 

Hi Howard, hmmm, not sure how they have fixed it, as we would need to see the other side of each gate. You might be able to achieve a similar effect with some tongue and groove(instead of the ply), but that might need treating for an outdoor application. I imagine your iron gate is flat, and has nowhere to inset the wood as the two in your pictures.

For this message the author Timllfixit has received gratitude : howardino
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

Good point, yes indeed my gate is flat, so the panels would stick out from the frame, hmm, will have to experiment to see if it looks too odd.

Just had a thought, those fixings in the pic, are they pop rivets? to use rivets, the 2 pieces being connected need to be fairly thin I think?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:17 pm 

You can get longer pop rivets, but I'd use gutter bolts on wood. I don't know how tight the pop rivets would pull up. They might crush the wood.
Those gates you have shown have been purpose made to add wood by the look of it. If you want the planked look, the nearest you will get is with some sort of thin steel bar across the "wrought iron" to bolt to I'd have thought.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : howardino
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:12 pm 

howardino wrote:
Just had a thought, those fixings in the pic, are they pop rivets?

I always thought pop rivets have a hole in the centre to allow for the "handle" that pulls the rivet through (as it goes pop) I can't see any holes in the fixings on the picture.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here