DIY Forum

 

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:28 am


Time zone: Europe/London




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:04 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 15
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Good afternoon guys.

I try to convert my existing standard light in the toilet to two downlight, but need some tips.

In my "rose" I have 3 red, 3 black and 2 earth cables.


Then there is 1 white wire with two cables - blue N & brown L going to the light bulb.

Please note that I have connected 1 downlight with this white wire using chockbox.

My question is:

Can I simply connect the second downlight with the same white cable (using junction box)?

Or should I connect the second one from the ceiling rose where the white wire is connected?

How to make another connection?



Please dont think that I have ignored other forum topics and I havent search for an answer.

Ive found "how to fit downlights"

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how_to_fit_downlights.htm

But on the attached photo there are only two grey 1.5mm2 wires going from ceiling.


Also I found a tip that each downlight should be connected to each other.

Im just not sure can I use this white soft wire... and I dont want to mess up my electric circuit.


Any tips and advices will be much appreciated!


Thanks

Lucas


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
 

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:07 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:49 pm
Posts: 15658
Location: hants/dorset border
Has thanked: 636 times
Been thanked: 1761 times
Sorry, either your terminology is wrong or your wiring...

You should have 3 earths assuming a standard ring.. may help if you can post pics, there is a difference between "Cables" and "cores"


EDIT...Manners................... :welcomeuhm:

_________________
Verwood Handyman
___________________________________________________________________

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:38 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 15
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Good evening guys.

Just ignore my first post, yes "wine~o" I have used confused terminology...

Apologies for my mistakes.
I was in rush and havent written it carefully.

My post should look like that.


I try to convert my existing standard light in the toilet to two downlight, but need some tips.

In my "rose" I have 3 red, 3 black and 3 earth cores.


Then there is 1 white 0.75mm2 2 core flex cable going to the light bulb.


Please note that I have connected 1 downlight with this cable using chockbox.

My question is:

Can I simply connect the second downlight with the same flex cable (using junction box)?

Or should I connect the second one from the ceiling rose where the flex cable is connected?

How to make another connection?



Please dont think that I have ignored other forum topics and I havent search for an answer.

Ive found "how to fit downlights"

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how_to_fit_downlights.htm


But on the attached photo there are only two grey 1.5mm2 wires going from ceiling.



Also I found a tip that each downlight should be connected to each other.

Im just not sure can I use this 2core 0.75mm2 cable... and I dont want to mess up my electric circuit.


Any tips and advices will be much appreciated!


Thanks

Lucas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:52 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 15
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Ok... 91views on this post but no reply, no help, tips, nothing....


Ive managed to finish my job without anybody's help.

For people with similar problem here is how to do it:

Switch off the mains from the circuit you work with then:

1. uncover CEILING ROSE

2. find flex cable with two wires N - neutral- blue and L - live- brown.

3. Get a new 2 core 0.75mm2 flex cable for small amount of downlights (in my case 2), for more I reckon you need to have minimum 1mm2 flex cable.

4. Replace this cable (you dont have to if you are happy with existing length) and connect it excactly the same way as it was.

See rose diagram:
http://*Alert moderator- please report this post*/projects/electrical_safety.htm


5. Then get a chockbox and join these two wires into L and N sections, and simply put two 0.75mm2 (or more if you need more) cables on the other side of your chockbox. You should have then 1 blue and 1 brown on the top, and then 2 blue and two brown wires.

And this is it.

Get your halogen connector and connect it with each 2core cable (OF COURSE IF YOUR HALOGEN IS DOUBLE EARTHED)


In case you get 3 core connector, then you have to connect your E wire to your ceiling rose earth E section.


Hope its helpful.

Lucas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:08 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:14 pm
Posts: 599
Location: Liverpool
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 37 times
not even going to comment on above. then again who needs earth protection


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:16 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 15
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
gasspark wrote:
not even going to comment on above. then again who needs earth protection


My downlights DO NOT need earthing.

Its written in manual,

the cable is double insulated so NO CONNECTION should be made to earth.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:47 pm 
Offline
Approved Electrician

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:01 pm
Posts: 1546
Location: South Yorkshire
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 293 times
ragged13 wrote:


My downlights DO NOT need earthing.

Its written in manual,

the cable is double insulated so NO CONNECTION should be made to earth.


You are a fool with a bad attitude.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:09 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 15
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
OnlyMe wrote:
ragged13 wrote:


My downlights DO NOT need earthing.

Its written in manual,

the cable is double insulated so NO CONNECTION should be made to earth.


You are a fool with a bad attitude.



Who are you then? and the person above, who instead of helping, correcting if Im wrong (Im not an electrician! Just learning!)
calling me fool?

This forum I think is for people like me and others who need to understand how to do things right.

Is this forum for ONLY PRO TRADE electricians who can just accusing or ignoring others in this case its me???


So just think why is this forum for? and who for?


Bad attitute is not to help someone who ask for it.

At the moment you and the other guys showing me two fingers.



==========



Forum Rules

We want to continually grow and keep this forum as a place where members can learn, share, help each other.



I just don't think it's clear enough for all forum users. Shame.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:24 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:14 pm
Posts: 599
Location: Liverpool
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 37 times
What I was against was that of a post u made that says don this way I solved the problem, but the way you did could put lives in danger at a later date as spark following would assume there work on an installation thats done to standard, what you have suggested is not and could become dangerous.

My qualification I have a BENG (hons) in electrical engineering

I have no problem helping, but patience is a vertue, I appoligise I missed ur post be as u have seen we did in the end.

regards

John


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:28 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 15
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Ive just found this:

"The downlights that I am fitting do not require an earth and so I have terminated the earth into a spare terminal. Do not cut the earth off as it may be needed if you ever replace the lights. "

from:

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how_to_fit_downlights.htm


It's just confirming my words above.

Regards

Lucas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:36 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 15
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
gasspark wrote:
What I was against was that of a post u made that says don this way I solved the problem, but the way you did could put lives in danger at a later date as spark following would assume there work on an installation thats done to standard, what you have suggested is not and could become dangerous.

My qualification I have a BENG (hons) in electrical engineering

I have no problem helping, but patience is a vertue, I appoligise I missed ur post be as u have seen we did in the end.

regards

John


Hi John,

Ive respect your qualifications I wish I had your knowledge but I dont, that's why Im here to find people like you who can correct my mistakes.

After reading all my messy messages can you confirm that my installation is fine then?

Regards

Lucas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:47 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:14 pm
Posts: 599
Location: Liverpool
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 37 times
ragged13 wrote:
Ive just found this:

"The downlights that I am fitting do not require an earth and so I have terminated the earth into a spare terminal. Do not cut the earth off as it may be needed if you ever replace the lights. "

from:

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how_t ... lights.htm


It's just confirming my words above.

Regards

Lucas


Ok you should not use the flex but add 1mm-1.5mm twin and earth cable, remove ceiling rose completely and using a 15a 6 way junction box put the 3 reds together, 3 earths and the two blacks, (neg) the remaining black is switch live return and was the one going to the red/brown cable in the rose, (should have a red sleeve on if not add either brown tape or sleeve), then add your new cable brown to the black switch live, blue to the two blacks, (neg), earth to the earths, then supply your first down light from this cable terminating all three wires in a jb include the next cable for next downlight and the flex/cable for that downlight, the most important cable you are terminating is the earth.

Regards

John


Edit: for info earth is what protects the user, say in 6 years someone decides to fit metal clad heat lamp guess what the earth is there ready for use, thats why the earth is so important



For this message the author gasspark has received gratitude : ragged13
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:09 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 15
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
gasspark wrote:


Ok you should not use the flex but add 1mm-1.5mm twin and earth cable, remove ceiling rose completely and using a 15a 6 way junction box put the 3 reds together, 3 earths and the two blacks, (neg) the remaining black is switch live return and was the one going to the red/brown cable in the rose, (should have a red sleeve on if not add either brown tape or sleeve), then add your new cable brown to the black switch live, blue to the two blacks, (neg), earth to the earths, then supply your first down light from this cable terminating all three wires in a jb include the next cable for next downlight and the flex/cable for that downlight, the most important cable you are terminating is the earth.

Regards

John


Edit: for info earth is what protects the user, say in 6 years someone decides to fit metal clad heat lamp guess what the earth is there ready for use, thats why the earth is so important[/quote]







If you could look at the photo (no.10)
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how_to_fit_downlights.htm

Terminating the earth means in this case to screw the earth into spare terminal right?

That why I was so confused.

BTW

The manual from my downlight says to use 1.0mm2 flex cable. It wasn't my invention.

Thanks for your tips! Really appreciate.

Regards

Lucas


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 



Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 



phpBB SEO