DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:05 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with the following.

I have just moved into a new apartment with storage heaters (which I have no experience with). I know it says not to cover them, but I was leaning against one for back support and I put a coloured throw behind my back. Eventually it got too hot on my back so I moved but it left an indent of the design on the heater!!! It doesn't seem to come off with anything. I have tried regular soap, Brasso, and T-Cut, but none are working. Does anyone know what WILL work. I'd be extremely grateful for any help as we have only been in this apartment two weeks.

Thanks.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:25 pm 

:welcomeuhm:
If you own the place, you could repaint them with heat resistant paint, though you would have to make sure the heater was switched off and ensure that the heater circuit is isolated at the consumer unit and the storage heater cold (If you have any serious concerns about your ability to do this....Don't do it). Before removing the front cover (most tend to be held on with a couple of screws on the bottom of the front panel (DO NOT remove the wall support screws though, unless you want to risk broken bones and / or a broken heater) If you can find a model number, some here will likely know an answer on how to remove the front panel.

scuff the surface down with some high grit sandpaper 180 grit for example, to provide a key, give it a wipe over with a damp cloth to remove the dust, let it dry, then apply the paint in thin coats, especially if using spray paint.

Best to do rubbing down and painting outside if possible, though be aware of wind which will blow the spray away and blow dust onto your paint

My old man did similar a few times when he had storage heaters as the paint on some of the heaters discoloured due to age and repeated heating.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi scot-canuck, thanks very much for your reply. If it comes to it, I might have to give it a go before forking out for a new one. Unfortunately I am a few weeks in on a 12 month rental contract so might wait and see if any other options come up, but again, thanks very much for your reply.