DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 am

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, new to your forum but having read a few posts i hope one of you can help me. My dear old mum has just had a water meter fitted in the garden. When i called to see her today she informs me she may have a small leak on the stop tap and is worried that now she is metred it will cost her a fortune if it is not sorted. It turns out the tap is dripping every 2 seconds when on low pressure and almost running when turned to full.
I am not afraid of having a go at this job but do not know how to go about it. If i get a spanner and screw the tap from the lead pipe into the house will the water not just pour out at mains pressure and flood the house.
The new water meter has a kind of black plastic key next to the read out and when i pull this out there is a screw under it, is this a stop tap as well, could i turn it off her and then go ahead in the house with no problem.
Thanks in advance, Paul.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:03 pm 
Gas/Heating Expert

The black plastic piece in the meter housing is a turn off tap. use the removable piece to turn the valve off, then continue to replace tap inside house.

Could you post a picture of the tap in the house, we may be able to provide some considerations for replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Paul,

Firstly let me say that I am not familiar with the new stopcocks that the water board fit with new meters, but I think you have a square shaped socket that needs turning to isolate the supply.

DO NOT do anything with the stopcock inside until it is isolated from outside, or you could be looking at a lot of water damage!

Where exactly is the inside stopcock leaking from?

Is it coming from where it connects to the pipes?

Or is it coming from where the handle enters the body of the tap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi guys , thank you for your prompt replies, its much appreciated. I thought the black plastic key type thing in the meter would turn but it didn't seem to want to and i did not want to force it, then i pulled it a bit and it just pulled off and underneath is a screw, so i guess the screw needs removing before the tap will turn but i am very wary of doing that without your advise.
I am searching the net to find a picture of the type of stop tap but basically it looks like a copper tap screwing into a lead pipe. There is like a round flat piesce against the lead then a nut shaped part which the tap screws into.
The leak is from the tap not the joint so when the tap is closed th leak stops but as soon as you begin to open it the water run from the tap itself.
Sorry for going on a bit but want to give as much info as possible .
Cheers Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:32 pm 
Gas/Heating Expert

If the leak is from spindle nut... this can be easily fixed without changing the whole tap.

Turn off the water meter, you should try forcing the black handle, its probably just butted up, if it breaks, the water board will have to replace their faulty tap!

Once water turned off at meter, open kitchen mains tap to relieve pressure.

Undo the spindle nut (the one that is about 13mm spanner), and slide up to handle.

loosely wrap some PTFE tape around spindle between tap body & lossen nut. Use a small screwdriver to push into slot around spindle.

retighten nut, compressing the ptfe to form a seal.

Turn on water at meter, this should cure it.

(note- when turn on a stoptap, fully open, then turn back half a turn, this stops it from jamming in future)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

That is good news then, it sounds like it is the packing gland that is leaking!

I have been meaning to cover this in a project but have not had time yet!

Look at the picture that I have attached-

as a precaution isolate the water from outside if possible, if you can't then don't worry- it should be ok as long as it is isolated inside.

turn off the stop tap and then unscrew the nut that is pointed to with the red arrow, this will unscrew anti clockwise. Use two spanners, one to hold the large nut in the centre of the stopcock and the other to undo the packing gland.

There may be bits of string in there, so do not be alarmed. You need to dig these bits of old string out with a small screwdriver etc.

Wrap plenty of ptfe tape around the shaft near to the nut that you have just loosened, then push the nut back up to the tap and re tighten it using a spanner. This should stop the tap from leaking.

If you have no ptfe tape you can use some wool that has been covered in petroleum jelly.

ensure that either the ptfe or wool is packed in tight before re-tightening the nut.

Attachments:
stopcock.jpg
stopcock.jpg [ 19.67 KiB | Viewed 8593 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

I was beaten to it :oops:

Thanks Hinton :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:47 pm 
Pro Handyman

Phew! You two in a competition?

We called that the Packing Box hence "packed in tight" used to use string a lot but real string hemp stuff as it swells when wet.

Oh NO! Giving away my age now!

darrenc wrote:
I dont think its a stupid question but does show a lack of understanding of how paint works and reasons for certain applications, now dont jump down my throat Jaegar i'm not being funny its just a classic case in point of a well educated professionally trained painter against a general tradesman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

Fantastic support offered to a newby, thank you very much. I will do the job on Sunday morning and report back.
Many thanks again
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:10 pm 
Gas/Heating Expert

I think between us, we;ve supplied the same info!

But a picture is very useful! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

You were correct, the black key on the external water meter just needed some gentle persuasion. The Spindle nut came of easily and the PTFE tape did the trick.
Many thanks Paul

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]