DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: How do I do this
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

In my workshop I would like to try this idea. I would like to switch the internal lights on by pir and while I am working in there they stay on. This was what I was thinking about, I was going to put several lighting pir's or any pir's around the workshop to give me coverage and connect to a timer, and let's say set the timer to stay on for 20 minutes. If there is no movement detected then the lights will switch off, if movement is detected it resets the timer to 20 minutes. So I was going to connect pir's to timer and then timer to contactor. I know you can get occupancy pir's but I have a few lighting pir's and intruder alarm pir's on the shelf and would like to use these. I would also like to override the pir's with a normal switch to contactor. Any one got ideas on this and would it work or is there a simple way to do this. Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: How do I do this
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:49 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Moved to Lighting before someone reports it.

For this message the author moderator2 has received gratitude : moderator7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:23 pm 
Approved Electrician

How are you intending to get your lighting PIRs (that I assume are mains voltage) to work with alarm PIRs (that I assume are 12V)? I suspect that you will have to use one or the other and cannot mix and match (you can but it is not worth the effort).

The basic principles of what you are suggesting are easy enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:28 pm 

As only me has said, alarm pirs are 12v and lighting pirs are mains.
Alarm pirs will need an independent timer, and the mains ones wont. It can be done, but a lot of hassle for little gain.

But I have to ask, why not just install a switch, much easier, and it will work. You could even install a light outside so that you can tell from a distance that your workshop lights are still on.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 pm 

What you need is a re-triggerable monostable (timer).

Such a device will repeatedly activate contacts (close or open them) for the determined period (user set) and every activation of the re-trigger input starts a new time period.

If no devices send a re-trigger then the system 'times-out' and the lights go off.

Such a device is sometimes called a 'staircase timer' (to switch stair lighting on for a set period).

Connect all your PIR outputs in parallel and wire across the trigger input of the timer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

OnlyMe wrote:
How are you intending to get your lighting PIRs (that I assume are mains voltage) to work with alarm PIRs (that I assume are 12V)? I suspect that you will have to use one or the other and cannot mix and match (you can but it is not worth the effort).

The basic principles of what you are suggesting are easy enough.

Ah what I should have said is I have a few pir's and I would use all mains (lighting ones) or just alarm pir's which I would have to use a 12v power supply with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
As only me has said, alarm pirs are 12v and lighting pirs are mains.
Alarm pirs will need an independent timer, and the mains ones wont. It can be done, but a lot of hassle for little gain.

But I have to ask, why not just install a switch, much easier, and it will work. You could even install a light outside so that you can tell from a distance that your workshop lights are still on.

I sometimes leave the lights on thinking I will be back in a few minutes but never return until the evening so wasting a lot of electricity. So I was thinking of a way to automatically time out the lights, thinking about it maybe the override switch is not really needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:52 pm 
Newly registered Member

kellys_eye wrote:
What you need is a re-triggerable monostable (timer).

Such a device will repeatedly activate contacts (close or open them) for the determined period (user set) and every activation of the re-trigger input starts a new time period.

If no devices send a re-trigger then the system 'times-out' and the lights go off.

Such a device is sometimes called a 'staircase timer' (to switch stair lighting on for a set period).

Connect all your PIR outputs in parallel and wire across the trigger input of the timer.

That is what they are called, thanks for that. I think I might have one of those, not sure if it is 12v and I think it is voltage free so will work with the alarm pir's. I think I will do a little test on the bench and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:02 pm 

I can understand leaving the lights on when not needed, but why not install LED lights, then you will not have to worry if you leave them on longer than required, If you install a light outside as well you can see you have left the lights on, or if you are in wi-fi range install a sonoff switch and control it from a smart phone.

The other point is if the lights are on a timer / pir they will go out just when you don't want them to which poses its own risks.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:04 pm 

If you are going to try it with alarm pirs and a timer, bear in mind alarm pirs are NC not NO, so you would need to wire them in series, also the timer my be susceptible to spikes. But do try.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
I can understand leaving the lights on when not needed, but why not install LED lights, then you will not have to worry if you leave them on longer than required, If you install a light outside as well you can see you have left the lights on, or if you are in wi-fi range install a sonoff switch and control it from a smart phone.

The other point is if the lights are on a timer / pir they will go out just when you don't want them to which poses its own risks.

Trouble with led's is that they don't last long or the one's I have bought don't. I would rather not use wifi I wanted to use a pretty fail safe idea. My workshop is 300m2 over two floors, so I was going to install pir's on both floors switching only the area I am in and with a few pir's overlapping hopefully not have to worry about the lights going out while I am there. I have the intention of coming back to finish something only to find I get distracted and end up doing something different and while I am typing this I have to go and switch the lights off that have been on all day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:41 pm 

If you insist on doing it, I would opt for mains pirs, more reliable and have built in timers, but also bear in mind some (That's some, not all) can not switch inductive loads (or at least have to be de rated)

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : eaglesalz

Time zone: Europe/London