DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:37 pm 
Newly registered Member

All of our sockets are surface mounted - and i found out why ... almost all the old pattresses are attached to metal conduit ...... anyone know an "easy" way to cut them out ?
Also i changed a single socket to a double and found that the depth of the pattress is deeper - so can i get a shallower 2- gang pattress i.e. 16mm deep or can i cut into the brickwork at the back of the hole , bit nervous of cutting too deeply as its an outside wall and i don;t need an air brick there !
Phil

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Phil,

It is best to wait until markysparky answers this post as he is the man to ask about this, he is often on later in the day!

I am a bit concerned about the metal conduit and more importantly the wire that is inside of it, is the wire PVC like in this-

Or is it single wires without the outer protective PVC sheath?

If it is sheathed what colour is the sheathing, is it Grey, white or Black or another colour?

You have to be careful with shallow backboxes and patresses as you can crush the wires when tightening the screws up. You can get shallow ones but you must ensure that the wires do not get squashed behind.

Metal conduit should be earthed, do you know if yours is earthed?

When you say "All of our sockets are surface mounted - and i found out why ... almost all the old pattresses are attached to metal conduit ...... anyone know an "easy" way to cut them out ? "

Do you mean that you want to remove them and replace them with metal backboxes that are flush with the surface?

As for the single socket that you converted to a double, you should be able to easily fit a backbox in any brick wall, without converting it into an airbrick! Use a bolster chisel and club hammer and do it slowly, removing small pieces at a time as opposed to large chunks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:44 pm 
Newly registered Member

thanks, thats a lot of excellent info.

The conduit was checked out recently by an electrician , and in recent years i.e. in last 5 the wiring within it has been completely replaced .
The wires are the British colours i.e. before the bloody EU changed them - so red, brown and blue.

i will take your advice and gingerly take out half an inch out of the brick and not pinch the wires .

i want to take out one of the pattresses simply because its to an older standard and the box is not compliant with current sizes . The conduit is attached to the box and cutting back the plaster around the conduit doesnt allow access to cut the pipe (which im not keen on doing in any case because of potential damage to the wiring within it)

thanks again much appreciated

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:13 pm 
Electrician

flipper wrote:
All of our sockets are surface mounted - and i found out why ... almost all the old pattresses are attached to metal conduit ...... anyone know an "easy" way to cut them out ?

The metal backbox must be attached to be conduit somehow? Either by means of a bush or lock ring/nut?. If so try and loosen with pliers or try and tap it loose with a slotted screwdriver and hammer.
But it's still going to require knocking plaster off around the backbox to remove it no matter what.

Also i changed a single socket to a double and found that the depth of the pattress is deeper - so can i get a shallower 2- gang pattress i.e. 16mm deep or can i cut into the brickwork at the back of the hole , bit nervous of cutting too deeply as its an outside wall and i don;t need an air brick there

No 25mm deep is as shallow as you can get. Anything less wouldn't work as the socket itself and termination of the wires would make anything less than 25mm too shallow. Cut the wall out with a scutch chisel. It's comb edged and brays the brick and it's the best for that type of job.!