DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 7:03 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:06 am 
Newly registered Member

Has anyone here had any experience of the Honeywell Evohome security alarm system? It looks tempting ...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:30 pm 

Over rated, over priced, piece of junk.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:36 am 

Not looked at EvoHome, but have looked at whole idea of integrated control of the home, I know with my sons house setting the alarm as you leave also reduces the controlled temperature. Having the same window switches work alarm and switch of the heating to the room does seem to make sense, as does turning heating down as you leave the house.

However what is in question is there any point in turning the heat down? Mothers house has two rooms with wifi connected TRV heads, and what I have found is the house neither heats or cools quickly, it is hard to measure, would need one of those smart meters able to log minute by minute how much gas is used, but even on the coldest day temperature in the nine hours it is turned off at night rarely drops more than 3 degrees, then the boiler runs flat out to regain those 3 degrees, if it was not set to cool the boiler would modulate and likely run more efficient. Even if it does save, likely only to be by a few pence.

I think it's a good idea to have one system, having hubs galore one for each system can not be as good as one hub doing all, however you then need to look at all the items offered by the system.

I used Energenie in mothers house, the wifi electronic TRV heads work well, but the sockets only allow three times a day unless using IFTTT, and the energy monitor is rather lacking and this is the problem, each system has it's good and bad areas, and when you select a make you need to take all functions into consideration.

I am assuming the idea of EvoHome alarm is to integrate with your heating?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:58 am 

someone-else wrote:

How many have you personally had experience of to come to that conclusion?

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:12 pm 

Razor wrote:
someone-else wrote:

How many have you personally had experience of to come to that conclusion?

106 that I know of. A company I work with has installed them. (A trial, as well as other "wireless alarms" as well as a few thousand other wired alarms)

Its sold on the fact there are no wires, they don't mention the fact that a wired alarm can be installed for less, all cables hidden (Except near the main panel) and costs considerably less.

e.g.
Radio Door contact £33
Hard wired door contact £1.00

........and so it goes on. They also "forget to mention" that each device has to have its battery changed every 2 years, average price is £5 (I found some for £2) which ever you have, that is just for one device so multiply that by number of devices you have, and the price is only going to go up. You don't get that with a wired alarm, new battery every 5 years £10.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:44 pm 

So no direct experience then??

How on earth can you say how much it would be to run cables in any particular house? Most people won't even let you run a cable for the heating thermostat!

And I think you may need to shop around for the batteries :wink: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-CR12 ... B000KVZRK2

Horses for courses I'm not saying this is always the best solution but it is a viable one

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:06 pm 

Razor wrote:
So no direct experience then??

I never said I had no direct experience with them. (You seem to assume I do not, but let us not argue, there is no point) Some customers tell me how much they are paying :shock: , but I just smile and change the subject.

Razor wrote:
How on earth can you say how much it would be to run cables in any particular house? Most people won't even let you run a cable for the heating thermostat!

You clearly have no understanding of how the alarm industry works (We hardly use Twin and earth) but that is understandable as the alarm / security industry is unique, and its not your main income. So why would you know, (As I said, you would not know, so I am left to predict you are assuming, based on the experience you have with installing T & E*)

Razor wrote:
And I think you may need to shop around for the batteries :wink: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-CR12 ... B000KVZRK2

You would be right there, I don't often think of Amazon

*Move furniture, lift carpet, lift floorboards, drill joists feed cable through said holes, put floor boards back, put carpet back, put furniture back, vacuum carpet. Yes, all takes time, time = money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:07 pm 

I don't install T&E I'm a plumber!!

I do however install an awful lot of smart controls and to do this I use many of the same types of control wiring that's used in the alarm industry. I've fitted plenty of YY and multi core cable but never CCA which so many alarm companies seem to use for cheapness.

In fact most of the relays I use also come from that discipline like the excellent easy brand versions so I'm not the one making assumptions :roll:

I asked if you had any experience and you stated that a company that 'you work with' you did not say you had direct experience with them.

Now it sounds more like you're actually in the wired alarm industry so have a vested interest in denigrating the wireless versions.

As I said it's horses for courses sometimes wired will be more suitable and sometimes wireless. On a refurb I'd deffo go wired but In a finished property the costs aren't so far apart

We can disagree you know without it being an argument :wink: :thumbright:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:45 pm 

Razor wrote:
We can disagree you know without it being an argument :wink: :thumbright:

Spoken like a true gentlemen sir.

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Razor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:56 pm 

I only installed in commercial premises in the main BY telephone exchanges, fastest not much bigger than garage two guys 14 hours so 28 man hours. At £20 an hour that's £560 to install, for a DIY install it is a balance its ok for me, I know how to wire up. But hard to work out what a DIY guy can do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:33 pm 

ericmark wrote:
I only installed in commercial premises in the main BY telephone exchanges, fastest not much bigger than garage two guys 14 hours so 28 man hours. At £20 an hour that's £560 to install, for a DIY install it is a balance its ok for me, I know how to wire up. But hard to work out what a DIY guy can do.

No offence ericmark, but that was then, this is now, things don't work like that with smaller companies.

Besides, its DIY so all labour costs are £0.

Odd thing is OP has not been back. (Then again, it is Christmas)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:03 pm 
Approved Electrician

someone-else wrote:
........and so it goes on. They also "forget to mention" that each device has to have its battery changed every 2 years, average price is £5 (I found some for £2) which ever you have, that is just for one device so multiply that by number of devices you have, and the price is only going to go up. You don't get that with a wired alarm, new battery every 5 years £10.

Does the Honeywell alarm monitor the wireless sensors batteries?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the comments so far. I have an ancient monitored alarm system with PIRs all over the place but I'd like to ditch them in favour of window and door switches and a system that contacts me if something triggers. I've recently installed the evohome heating system so that's why I was looking at the evohome security system. We have a lot of opening windows so I was going to investigate modifying the wireless window/door sensors so that I can use one per window, with additional reed switches for the other casements wired in series with the internal switch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:35 pm 

If you want to do something like that the best person in the Uk to talk to is Richard at www.theevohomeshop.co.uk

He's really clued up on the product plus he doesn't work directly for Honeywell so you'll get a straight answer. Tell him Ray from Intergas sent you and you might even get a discount!!

Or charged double more like :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm 

bloggsnco wrote:
We have a lot of opening windows so I was going to investigate modifying the wireless window/door sensors so that I can use one per window, with additional reed switches for the other casements wired in series with the internal switch.

Just don't even think about it.

Attachment:
c1.jpg
c1.jpg [ 92.37 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]

This is one of the (Expensive) window contacts. You can butcher it to add other contacts (I never have, and never seen it done, but in theory you can) but get it wrong and...... not to mention you are defeating the whole object of the exercise, which is that it should be wireless.
I would stick with what you have, or may be upgrade the panel?

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : bloggsnco