DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Honeycomb Plasterboard
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 am 
Newly registered Member

I've just let the plumber into the bathroom to start stripping out the old bath etc. I was planning on ripping out the old plasterboard (and attached tiles) and re-plasterboarding half the room. The plasterboard in this part of the room, next to the bath, looked pretty damaged under the bath, probably from the old leaking seal around the bath. I saw expecting stud work behind the old boards but we've discovered plasterboard with honeycomb cardboard behind it (paramount board according to google?) with no signs of stud work, just a 40mm wooden outer frame.

This short wall is an internal partition between the hallway and bathroom. Am I likely to find the other walls in the bathroom likely to be constructed the same? The longest wall that needs work is the plasterboard wall dividing us from next door, which I really don't want to mess with if i'm going to unravel a loads of problems.

I'm a DIYer, so any advice from other DIYers or trade that have come across this setup before?

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 pm 

If one wall is a Paramount partition it's likely that any other internal non-load bearing walls will be.

A party wall between your house and next door is likely to be brick or block and will probably be dot and dabbed with p/b.

You may be able to see what the construction of any particular wall is if you remove the skirting boards, you might need to have a dig around and remove a small amount of p/b.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : mikedigitales

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks Ayjay, I've done a bit of exploring and you were dead on. Going to build a new stud partition wall to replace the paramount and looks like I'll be learning to dot dab the other wall. Anyone have a good step by step or tips for the dot dab?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

If the surface is flat enough, then place dabs of driwall adhesive onto wall at around 400mm apart at even thickness and lift board onand push in gently, then level it to same levels as existing walls and remember to pack it up till it sets so it doesnt slump. Also dry run your plasterboard before you fix with adhesive to avoid an problems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:08 pm 

Search youtube for dot and dab, there are some good videos with the basics.

For this message the author dandan has received gratitude : mikedigitales