DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:56 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:34 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi
Had my alarm serviced yesterday, engineer asked if we were still getting texts when alarm was activated , said yes, he tested and yes we do.
He then went on to say that soon BT will be soon discontinuing this service due to 'outdated technology', and have been for a number of years and one day just wont work anymore.

Is this true? He then went on to say about cost for a new box with simcard... £20 per month.

But it just gives that extra piece of mind when you go away on holiday, and piece of mind that will be working.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 am 

Been going on for a few years, not sure who stopped it first, but yes it is true.

However you don't need a sim card, you can buy a "speech dialler" (Several of them out there) These will call you when the alarm has activated, but that is all it can tell you.
Personally I would rather go on holiday and have a great time, I wouldn't want to know the alarm has gone off as if it did, I would want to return myself.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:20 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for this.
Would I rather know if I've been broken into when away or come back and find out, good point. But Mrs feels safer with it... family first!
Will have another google after work, can see speech dialler/auto diallers , guess this is same thing are still being sold and make not mention of being turned off. I struggled to find anythiong on the text though.
I know may parents have a relatively cheap yale wireless, with dialler, they seem happy with

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:36 am 

guy999 wrote:
are still being sold and make not mention of being turned off. I struggled to find anythiong on the text though.

That will be because a speech dialler makes a normal phone call, then plays a pre recorded message (One you did earlier when you install the unit)

You won't find out about texts being turned off because it was so long ago that they started. I do not know if you are familiar with them but you used to be able to buy a "Pager" example below *

Alarms used to dial into the pager network and send a message to your mobile, its the same network that pagers use, but as pagers are no longer used* and it costs to keep the network up and running, and with the advent of text on a mobile phone most companies stopped the service. As I said earlier some companies stopped pagers years ago.

* Some hospitals still use pagers, but then they would, as that was how pagers started.
* This is a text pager, the first ones could only beep. I actually had one.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : guy999
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:21 am 
Newly registered Member

Great reply, thanks.
Yes remember pagers, the reps used to have them where i first worked. Then replaced by brick sized mobiles!