Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:19 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:48 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

Ok so I went for HIVE but self-install. Was relatively very easy and straight-forward (or so I thought!).

I installed the hub, the dual receiver great fired up hot water working fine. Central heating hmmm ok.... :?

Next step thermostat...ok so I have a wired thermostat and need to make it redundant, but really stuck and wondering if anyone would be kind enough to guide me please! :director:

I have attached pictures of my current/existing set-up.

My boiler is Potterton Promax SL.

Which wires disconnect my thermostat so I can use the wireless hive instead?

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
File comment: Wiring centre - Closeup
wiring centre2.jpg
wiring centre2.jpg [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 327 times ]
File comment: Wiring Centre
wiring centre.jpg
wiring centre.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 327 times ]
File comment: Hot Water set-up
HW.jpg
HW.jpg [ 948.81 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
File comment: Thermostat wiring
Thermo wiring.jpg
Thermo wiring.jpg [ 1003.56 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
File comment: Thermostat
Thermo.jpg
Thermo.jpg [ 891.35 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
File comment: Programmer
Programmer.jpg
Programmer.jpg [ 811.09 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
File comment: Set-up2
set-up2.jpg
set-up2.jpg [ 844.7 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
File comment: Set-up1
set-up1.jpg
set-up1.jpg [ 945.95 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:29 pm 

Since none of the cables have labels (not uncommon) why not trace the cable back from the stat to where ever it goes and disconnect it there?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:44 pm 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
Since none of the cables have labels (not uncommon) why not trace the cable back from the stat to where ever it goes and disconnect it there?

Good point and thanks for the reply - But see that's exactly the problem that I'm having I'm not sure where the cable goes to? Would it be linked to the Programmer or the wiring centre? That would narrow it down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:48 pm 

The wiring from the thermostat would usually go back to the wiring centre. The CH output from the programmer/time-controller would usually form the live input to the room stat, and the HW output from the programmer/time-controller would usually form the live input to the cylinder stat.

Really, to do the install properly you need to remove the programmer/time-controller from the wiring completely -- as the 2 channel Hive performs the functions of both of them. You still need the cylinder stat (assuming the boiler is providing hot water as well as heating). Best bet would be to establish what type of heating system you have by working out whether you have one 3 port valve (Y-plan), or 2 or more 2 port valves (S plan). Then match the contents of your existing wiring centre to the wiring diagram that comes with the Hive and wire the Hive in as shown in the installation manual.

You can kind of jury-rig a Hive or Nest install by keeping the existing programmer and just setting both the HW and CH to continuous. But best to install it as per the installation instructions -- that way, both the existing thermostat and the existing programmer will be fully disconnected and can be removed.

Unfortunately, wiring centres are often a bit of a mess and sometimes have been mucked about with over the years with additional block connectors and so on as repairs are made, but the actual functional layout of the wiring should be exactly as per the Y-plan or S-plan diagram in the Hive instructions. Make sure you have plenty of pictures so that, absolute worst case, you can return everything to how it was before you started and still have a functional heating system. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:12 pm 

boilermanz wrote:
someone-else wrote:

But see that's exactly the problem that I'm having I'm not sure where the cable goes to?

Exactly.

There is no way any one on any forum can say "Oh yes, it's the 3rd and 4th cables to the left of the pink stripey one" (Obviously I just made that up) So as I have told you, you need to trace it.

Perhaps you do not understand "trace"
You follow the cable and find out where it goes.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 am 
Newly registered Member

chrrris wrote:
The wiring from the thermostat would usually go back to the wiring centre. The CH output from the programmer/time-controller would usually form the live input to the room stat, and the HW output from the programmer/time-controller would usually form the live input to the cylinder stat.

Really, to do the install properly you need to remove the programmer/time-controller from the wiring completely -- as the 2 channel Hive performs the functions of both of them. You still need the cylinder stat (assuming the boiler is providing hot water as well as heating). Best bet would be to establish what type of heating system you have by working out whether you have one 3 port valve (Y-plan), or 2 or more 2 port valves (S plan). Then match the contents of your existing wiring centre to the wiring diagram that comes with the Hive and wire the Hive in as shown in the installation manual.

You can kind of jury-rig a Hive or Nest install by keeping the existing programmer and just setting both the HW and CH to continuous. But best to install it as per the installation instructions -- that way, both the existing thermostat and the existing programmer will be fully disconnected and can be removed.

:cheers: Thanks so much for the explanation. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, wiring centres are often a bit of a mess and sometimes have been mucked about with over the years with additional block connectors and so on as repairs are made, but the actual functional layout of the wiring should be exactly as per the Y-plan or S-plan diagram in the Hive instructions. Make sure you have plenty of pictures so that, absolute worst case, you can return everything to how it was before you started and still have a functional heating system. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:56 am 

Seems odd not to have two motorised valves the same, but it does seem you have two so likely S plan, it seems the cables from motorised valves are black and it is likely the brown core of that black cable connects to one of the thermostat wires.

Basic idea is thermostat is supplied from the programmer and in turn supplies the motorised valve which in turn supplies the boiler so identifying the motorised valve that works the central heating should show you the cable going to thermostat, however you do need to verify it is the thermostat cable.

It does seem that you have some extra valves which I can't recognise, wonder if under floor heating or some thing, so can't be sure I am getting this right.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : boilermanz