DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:05 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:21 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi

I bought a 2nd hand SDS max drill - but realised only the drill (and hammer) function works, and when I tried to switch it to chisel-only - it doesn't work (and still in drill mode).

I've gone as far as taking the whole thing (well almost the whole thing...) apart - couldn't figure out how the little black plastic thing is suppose to switch between chisel / drill modes... I'll try to attach some pics to show details.

Would really appreciate some help from guys who understand this mechanical function.

Thank you
Namo Amituofo

Attachment:
IMG_9054.JPG
IMG_9054.JPG [ 119.83 KiB | Viewed 1425 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_9055.JPG
IMG_9055.JPG [ 94.29 KiB | Viewed 1425 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_9056.JPG
IMG_9056.JPG [ 97.79 KiB | Viewed 1425 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_9057.JPG
IMG_9057.JPG [ 109.57 KiB | Viewed 1425 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:02 pm 

leodeng wrote:
Hi

Would really appreciate some help from guys who understand this mechanical function.

Thank you
Namo Amituofo

I've got no idea how it all works, but what needs to happen is that the switch needs to turn off the rotary action somehow to enable the chisel action.

If you can work out how that happens with the switch you're showing, then you're halfway there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:04 am 

ayjay wrote:

I've got no idea how it all works, but what needs to happen is that the switch needs to turn off the rotary action somehow to enable the chisel action.

If you can work out how that happens with the switch you're showing, then you're halfway there.

Looks fo be a small toggle switch in red on the black handle ? every sds tool i've owned has a separate switch for drill on off

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:43 am 

I was thinking that the part shown is a mechanical device (not electric) and that when turned it lifts a cog so that it stops the rotary action. I was also thinking that it looks too short to do this, so I guess a part has broken off, which means it can not stop the rotary action which is why it was sold in the first place.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:42 pm 

I think it's mechanical as well. The peg on the knob should sit in the groove in a collar on a gear. When the knob is turned the peg moves the gear along the shaft. If it's engaging /disengaging a drive, then it's either working a "dog clutch" or moving the gears along a shaft to engage and disengage them.
If there are bits broken off that have gone in there, I'd want to strip the gearbox, clean it out properly and regrease. May well be special grease.
Sorry to damn with faint praise. Hilti tools are excellent, but that one looks as if it's had a hard life to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you guys for the replies - I really appreciate it. I bought it as 'spares/repair' due to the chuck does not hold bits - which I've diagnosed as 'ball bearing' missing - which I can easily replace. The drill works well though and it is hammering - just can't chisel. I'm in two minds re opening up the entire thing and see if there's a mechanical bit broken off from the switch - 1st of all, there is a risk that I may not be able to put it back together and it will stop working altogether :lol: - and 2ndly, if a bit is broken off and that bit is inside the main mechanism - surely the damn thing would have jammed - no?

Still hoping for someone who has disassembled a rotary hammer may be able to shed more light - I'm guessing this switch mechanism should be very similar between Hilti / Dewalt / Makita / Bosch models.

Until then I can happily use it as a hammer drill - I've got a 15KG breaker if I want to chisel anything :boxing:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

wine~o wrote:
ayjay wrote:

Looks fo be a small toggle switch in red on the black handle ? every sds tool i've owned has a separate switch for drill on off

Hi - that red switch is for continuous action :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

Found this spare parts diagram!!
Attachment:
Hilti TE76.pdf [220.67 KiB]
Downloaded 15 times

For the pictures I've posted above - spares 94, 7, 91, 92 (I've not shown 133 in the pictures but I do have that part too) - so which part am I missing??? Damn this is hard :sad: