DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:17 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Help identifying a part
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:18 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello

At home we have light bulbs where we clip on an outer fitting which slightly screws into the ceiling mount. Unfortunately one of these fittings has gone missing and try as I might I cannot find them online. Below are two photos of these fittings, I would appreciate any help in identifying them so I can order some:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:26 am 

:welcomeuhm:

That is part of the light fitting that would have been installed complete when originally fitted - it will be impossible to purchase separately which is why you cannot find them. You might find a complete unit if you trawl round car boot sales all summer.

Either: find the original ring, surely it can't have gone far, or replace the whole unit(s). To do this, remove the ceiling mount (they usually pull straight downwards as they are held in by spring clips), measure the diameter of the hole in the ceiling, then try to find a replacement fitting that fits the same size cutout. This information will be in the advert, buried in the product details, on the box or in the fitting instructions.

Do not buy ones that are smaller, they will not sit in satisfactorily. Do not buy ones that are too large, it will be very difficult to enlarge the existing cutout with out special tools.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:18 pm 

It is sometimes called a lock ring, usually they work with a bayonet action. But they are a part of the manufacturer's design of light fitting and aren't universal (unlike the cheaper spring clip types), certainly I haven't seen generic replacements for sale.

If you can find the manufacturer and model then you may (possibly) be able to get a replacement part from them, or (if it is a current model) buy a new identical fitting and just swap the lost piece over. Failing that, you may need to get a light fitting that looks similar and takes the same sized hole in the ceiling, in order to swap the fitting out.

Whether you'd have any luck at all trying other makes of lock ring I'm not sure, though the different makes I've used haven't all been identical. I certainly wouldn't try it if ingress protection or fire-rating were of concern.