DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:36 am

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:42 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi

I need URGENT help with my water heating system in the house... I have a water tank on the first floor with two immersion heaters(the system apparently is Economy 7), the tank is split in two with the bottom one set on economy 7. I recently replaced the heater element in the bottom tank but dont think this resolved my issue as this tank is still ice cold.
It seemed to work for a day or two but then just reverted back to normal (us not having warm water in the downstairs ensuite bathroom. It is almost as if there is not electricity going to the element.
Also for some reason the water will be boiling hot in all the warm water taps in the house, so hot it burns you(I assume this is from the top section of the water tank) but the shower in the downstairs room has luke warm water, it is actually too cold to shower in while the water in the basin right next to it is boiling hot.

What I need to know is -
the fact that I have changed the immersion heater I think it is called and it still didnt resolve the issue, can this be that there is something wrong witht the electricity supply to the heater????

Secondly how does the economy 7 water tank system work???? (we have no gas in the house, so no boiler)

Last but not least how come does the whole house have boiling hot water, but not the shower, what on earth can this be????

Any help or advise or anything would be much appreciated...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 am 

That confused my little brain :lol:

Is the cylinder hot or not. :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

The sylinder is apparently split in two, the top part has its own heater and the bottom part has its own element, I changed the bottom element a while ago, but it doesnt seem to be working as the bottom part of the tank is ice cold and the top part of the tank boiling hot. What really baffles my mind is how come would the whole house have warm water so hot you burn yourself but not the shower downstairs?

Also how exactly does economy 7 works, I am sure if I no the workings behind this I might be better equiped to get this issue resolved..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:57 pm 

The bottom immersion heater comes on with the e7 and heats the cylinder overnight, and the top immersion heater is for boosts during the day if needed.

The shower is a separate issue.

The most likely problem will be the thermostat or cartridge faulty or the cold is overpowering the hot, need more information, on the supplies to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi thescruff

Thank you very much for your help so far getting to the bottom of this issue.

If I for example change the two power supplies around will that then reverse the two tanks, so that the top is E7 and the bottom being used for boosts during the day.

One of my theories is that thetr is no electricity going to the bottom immersion heater(which I have changed two weeks ago), I will test this over the weekend.

Regarding the shower, might it be that the shower is fed from a different warm water pipe than the rest of the house, in other words might it be that it is connected to the bottom part of the tank?? Also how does the waterflow in this tank work? lets say the shower feeds from a pipe connected at the bottom of this tank, then obviously the water from the top(warm) part of the tank must be flowing through to the bottom(cold) part of the tank and this might be why there is no warm water, where the rest of the house feeds from the top part of the tank. Is that a possiblity at all????

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 pm 

The hot must come from the top of the cylinder, and should be the same supply as every where else.

Can you post a pic showing the cylinder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 pm 

The e7 only works at night, check the meter on/off times.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 pm 
Newly registered Member

I will post some photos tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 pm 

Ok I'll pick it up when I get back in 10ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi

Please see attached pictures of the water tank and the power supply to the two different heaters. I had another look tonight and I am 99% sure there is no power going to the bottom heater as the tank is ice cold around the fitting where the heater screw into the tank. So I guess next step would be to buy an electrical current tester and test this to confirm and then possibly getting out a sparky??????

After spending all day thinking about what it can be something struck when I was having an ice cold shower, see attached picture 20, this tap was boiling hot when i touched it, almost so hot it burned me, so this says one thing, there is warm water getting to the tap, it is just not coming out.... on the left you adjust the temperature on this tap and on the right you adjust the water power.... the right pipe cominng out of the wall is the warm water pipe, left is the cold water one, there is definitely BOILING hot water in the tap unit as it is almost too hot too touch....

Can it be that the valve allowing warm water in to the water flow has decided to cave in????? If so I guess it would be straight forward to resolve, just need to replace the unit, right??????
If this is the case, do I have to drain the water tank as well before doing this, and if this is the case how do I drain the water tank in the pictures????

Sorry for all my questions, but I need to get this resolved as the missus is getting grumpier by the day about her daily cold shower.

Gerhardt

Attachments:
File comment: Top immersion heater and power supply to individual heaters
26.jpg
26.jpg [ 301.35 KiB | Viewed 1656 times ]
File comment: Water tank with two immersion heaters
21.jpg
21.jpg [ 301.49 KiB | Viewed 1656 times ]
File comment: Another possible culprit
20.jpg
20.jpg [ 324.36 KiB | Viewed 1656 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 pm 

The immersion needs to be checked electrically.

In the meantime check the storage tank and see if the water is hot/warm after you run the shower for a 5mins.

You say the pipe to the shower is hot, does it go cold as soon as you turn it on.

As above you are getting a backfeed or the cold is overpowering the hot, 3rd choice is faulty shower valve.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:32 pm 
Newly registered Member

On picture two, the actual tap unit is hot when you open the taps, which indicates their might be warm water at least reaching the tap unit, it is just no warm water coming out of the shower head, the tap unit is cold when the water is turned off... so warm water reaches the unit but not coming out,like you say as if the cold water is overpowering the warm water from the tap unit to the shower head....

If I replace this unit do I have to run the water tank empty as well??? IF so how do I do it???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:38 pm 

I think you said the cold was from the mains, so if you turn the stopcock off it should stop the flow.

The hot turns off by the cylinder, should be a valve on the right hand side looking at the pic.

Before you replace anything, check the valve for a blocked filter, do you know the make model of the valve.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:07 am 
Newly registered Member

Nope no idea, i just thought about replacing the whole unit, but if there is a cheaper way, great!!!

Can you please explain how I can make model of the valve.

Regards

Gerhardt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:51 am 

skagga5 wrote:
Nope no idea, i just thought about replacing the whole unit, but if there is a cheaper way, great!!!

Can you please explain how I can make model of the valve.

Regards

Gerhardt

:lol: Do you know the Manufacture's name or model of the valve.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next