DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:26 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:26 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all-knowing ones!

I am thinking of installing a Time:O:Stat (apparently it replaces the room thermostat for the boiler) and wondered if anyone has any experience to share on this.
There is a wired and a wireless one and I would be getting the wireless one. Apparently I would be able to set it to run 24/7 at a certain temp 7/14/21, so I don't have to worry about freezing, or it can have 2 periods of operation in a day and in addition can be set to operate for 2 or 4 hours by the person actually in the house.

This house is going to be a holiday let so it won't be occupied all the time.

If anyone has any advice or experience of this or anything similar I would be most grateful :salute:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:08 am 

Thinking out loud;
If the house is a holiday let, why spend more money on a wireless version? if its hard wired, it will never not work because it's batteries are flat, it can't be moved (unlike most wireless stats I have seen) and it will never loose a radio signal (Because it doesn't have one)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Wandadorff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 am 
Newly registered Member

Hmmm...am pondering hard now. I think i thought I had to have a wireless one so I could alter stuff anytime day or night or if I was far away but maybe I have to rethink this as if it does everything I need it to in hard-wired version then I don't need it! Gonna ponder this for a day or two. Thank you.

Didn't realise wireless versions had legs!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:35 am 

Wandadorff wrote:
I think i thought I had to have a wireless one so I could alter stuff anytime day or night or if I was far away Didn't realise wireless versions had legs!

Its probably not everyone who does this, but I have seen several "wireless" stats and the owner moves them from room to room as they move. (Lets leave the reason why alone) I once knocked one and the batteries fell out (Daft place to put it, arm of a chair) no one knew until the house went cold.
I had a wired stat that had batteries, to power it. When do the batteries go flat? :cussing: middle of the night so when you get up in winter its freezing. (Yes it indicates low battery, but who looks at a room stat unless you have to?)
Point being batteries fail or "fall out" neither happen if it has no batteries.

The Stat you mention is NOT "remote control" (It doesn't connect to the internet) It seems to be more of a "Timer / stat" so that the heating will switch off after say 2 hours, and if ocupied you switch it back on for another 2 hours, but if you are not there, it doesn't heat an empty house.

Oh and its a "2 wire installation" which means it probably has batteries.

Wireless room stats have 2 boxes, one is in the room / wall and is wireless (Transmitter) the other box is the receiver and has lots of wires. (Ok, may be not lots, but no less wires than what you have now) So wireless still has wires, just that you don't see them.

Please note, above is (as my signature says) Just my opinion, what I have found with them. Others may have differing ideas.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Wandadorff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:47 pm 

Sounds like what you want is an internet enabled room thermostat from your second post, rather than just wireless.

These can be wired or wireless e.g. Honeywell Lyric

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : Wandadorff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you very much someone-else and gas4you. I am glad I asked. I have been researching this and was ready to buy but I am going to go away and research even harder now!