DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Gumtree retards
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:29 am 
Site Admin

I've recently started to get rid of some stuff from around the house and garage, mainly the garage. After Retired (Colin) said he had some success on Gumtree I decided to join it and see if I could get rid of some stuff which is in the way. Thanks to Col for letting me know about Gumtree as I have managed to shift a few things that were too big to sell on ebay.

The only problem with Gumtree are some of the members that seem too thick to be real people. I mean seriously how do some of these people get on in life?

I listed a few items and priced them to sell, one item was £60. I received at least three messages offering £40. If I wanted to sell it for £40 I would have listed it at £40 wouldn’t I?
So on the next listing I put the price of £90 and NO OFFERS. One guy said he was interested and asked for my number, He then called me up and said he would give me £80 as he had phoned around and could get the exact same item brand new for about £10 more. So I politely asked why he was wasting my time when he could go and buy a brand new one for similar money (the cheapest I could find for the same unused item was £60 more expensive). Anyway 30 mins later and his nephew rings and agrees to pay the £90 :wtf:

I listed a Stihl saw for £60 which needs looking at, so I put down spares and repairs only (it does work, but the off switch does not work). One guy was supposed to collect it yesterday at 10am but never turned up, I then received 3 offers of £40. Anyway someone who seems genuine is collecting it today.

I listed an almost new mitre saw for £60 which would cost £120 to buy new (it’s only been used once and is only a week old). Today some guy messages me and asks “what else will you chuck in if i buy for me and when will you bring to me”. I’m thinking of telling him I’ll throw in a pack of Bacon as I have turned vegetarian, to see if that guarantees me the sale :lol:

A couple of the buyers have been decent, genuine people but there are some real time wasters on there!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author ultimatehandyman has received gratitude : Retired
 Post subject: Re: Gumtree retards
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:51 am 

I sold some ferret kits last summer. One guy calls me up asking about a particular one so I gave him all the details. Then he hits me with the bombshell:

"Seeing as I'm coming all the way from Edinburgh would you gift it to me"

I burst all laughing as I thought he was joking but oh no he was serious. I politely declined but then he began to text me explaining to me why I should give it to him for free. I asked him to stop bothering me but he wouldn't. So I thought I'd teach him a lesson and gave him an address around the back of my house but which I can see from my kitchen window.

He arrived about an hour later and went to the house. I could see a brief conversation and then he left but text me saying I had gave him the wrong address. I replied with the words something like:

"Yes and I've wasted your time just like you did to me ha ha ha"

He went apesh1t :lol:

To be fair I like Gumtree. Yes you do get the odd fecktard but on a whole I generally get things sold and there are no extortionate fees like ebay and paypal.

For this message the author Argyll has received thanks - 2: Retired, ultimatehandyman
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:12 am 

Hi,

I fully agree Chez with your comments; I too have suffered such idiots trying to knock the price down when I state quite openly "No offers and cash only" also I state "Collection only from my home address here in Fenay Bridge" then I get requests to post it? I now add that I'll ignore messages containing offers or wanting posting but as you say there are some real first class idiots amongst us. ::b

On the whole though I've done very well indeed selling through Gumtree and I've saved a wad of cash which agrees with my religion. One of my last sales on Gumtree was for £1,150 and it couldn't have been better; the guy was a star. I sold my Apollo Turbine pro spray 1500 sprayer through Gumtree and a guy in Kent emailed if I would pack and post it; I replied in a polite manner thanking him but stating that it was collection and cash only as advertised but didn't blame him for trying; this guy was extremely keen to buy the sprayer because he had just bought a new same model which had been stolen from his van? Eventually after quite a few emails a chum of his living reasonably near collected and paid for it on his behalf so in the end it was another good sale; I actually made money on the Apollo so a bit of hassle was worth it.

There isn't any feedback ratings on Gumtree so no way of telling what the buyer is like and if I do get messed around all I can do is put it down to experience. So far though Chez are you shifting enough stuff successfully using Gumtree to make you think it worthwhile? :scratch:

Time I went into the garage and start building an ARK? :pukeleft:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:47 am 

When my mum downsized home my sister put a lot of her redundant stuff on Gumtree. To be fair it was not a raising money exercise it was more of a saving us the cost of disposal process. We certainly had a share of idiots but most ended up buying and removing the gear at no expense to her. One item that went wrong was a display cabinet. I had undone the screws and brackets to release the top unit to make it easier to move.

We had this woman phone loads of times asking for measurements etc. Anyway she sent these two chumps around with a small van which it clearly would be a struggle to get one half in let alone both top and bottom units. The idiots slide the top unit not seeing the two securing tabs and gouge a furrow right across the top. It would not fit in the van so they gave up and put the top half in her garage and left. Effing w*nkers. We got the council to collect it which cost £20 but at least it was gone.

Gumtree brings you into a world of chancers and mainly w*nkers. But if you persist you can dispose of stuff as there are some genuine buyers out there who know what they want.

DWD

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:05 am 

The other one to watch for is the short-change shuffle.

Several times, I have had a tightly folded wad of cash handed over, and found out it was short by £10 to £30. Not being born yesterday, I counted the cash in front of them BEFORE they even loaded. Not retards, but chancers.

Colin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:42 am 

At the nursing home I used to work in, they had two lion statues outside. Manager told me to skip them. I did a bit of research online and found out that they'd probably sell for £150. Put them on Gumtree and on a local selling group on Facebook for £120. The Facebook one turned out to be the most interesting. Message from a chap saying "I'll give you £30 for them, They are fake." I messaged him back giving him full details of the lions and even provided a link to the original manufacturers site. He responds by upping his offer to £35, still claiming they are fake. Told him to do one. A few days later, someone else pops up saying almost exactly the same thing. Looked at his profile and it had just been set up that day (but at least he was now offering £40) After yet another day, I noticed someone had posted on the selling site saying "Don't have any dealings with, xxxxxx and xxxxxx . They are both the same person and buy items , then immediately sell them again for double the price (entrepreneur or what?) Anyway, about a week later I got a phone call in response to my advert on Gumtree. Chap wanted to come and have a look at them. He asked if the price was negotiable? Told him, the price is as stated as the money was going straight into the residents fund at the home. Arranged for him to have a look and when he turned up he paid the full price and threw in another tenner as it was for a good cause. :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:58 am 

Never tried Gumtree. It sounds like fun!
The local paper is the same though. Put the price you want in there, and they ask
"How much do you want for it?"
Say that the price is in there and they say
"Yes but how much do you really want for it?"
"That'll be the price I put in the ad then. . ."

I've had some long and interesting conversations with people over stuff like that. One bloke, (a kid really I think) wanted to swap some of his computer stuff for the stuff I had. I just wanted cash. The conversation went on for some time with him going on about how good his stuff was, and what a good deal I was getting, and me saying several times I wanted cash. Then he says
"What's your address then? I'll come round"
Me,
"You've got the money now then"?
He went absolutely ballistic!
I think he thought he'd persuaded me.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:41 am 

How about listing some things on here Chez?
It may mean boxing up and posting but you come with some sort of reputation so it might be easier and without too much risk...

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:57 am 
Pro Carpenter

i prefer to give things away :scratch:
for the warm glow :huray: :huray: :huray:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:41 pm 

big-all wrote:

Well, I am after a nail gun..

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:14 pm 

big-all wrote:

I thought the warm glow came from burning it? :lol:

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : dewaltdisney
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Retired wrote:
Hi,

So far though Chez are you shifting enough stuff successfully using Gumtree to make you think it worthwhile? :scratch:
Kind regards, Col.

Yes, I have managed to shift a few things that were in my way.

I really need some room here so getting rid of the stuff is a real bonus :thumbright:

Yesterday a guy turned up from Buxton to collect a metal bending brake- he was a really nice bloke.

Then today two guys turned up to collect a Stihl saw for a mate- again they were nice enough.

I like dealing with nice, genuine people but some of the numpties on Gumtree leave a lot to be desired!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

stevewestern wrote:
How about listing some things on here Chez?
It may mean boxing up and posting but you come with some sort of reputation so it might be easier and without too much risk...

I would do but all the stuff I'm selling can't really be posted so Gumtree is much better for me at the moment :thumbright:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:19 pm 

I am awaiting to see your imitation vibrating rectum on Gumtree Chez :lol:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : ultimatehandyman
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:24 pm 
Troll Headbutter

My last big sale was my R6 motorbike!

SO many f*ck ringing up and offering 400 quid when it was up for 2k or something???? When people rang and asked if they could buy it I said "If you are coming to BUY it, then you need to bring the full amount. If you try and knock me down in price, I'll just shut the door on you - do you understand?". So many people decided to "look at other bikes first".

When some yoof who was SUPER keen got through my email screening and then the warning above, I gave my address and he came round.......I was home alone and looked out the window and saw two golfs pull up and about 8 lads got out, some of them were Fuc$ing HUGE!!!!!

I thought if they try and take it, I'm going down swinging, so got a baseball bat by the door and snapped some pics of the cars..................NICE as pie, the lot of them. How wrong was I expecting trouble. Paid the full amount and done the paperwork. Told him it was stupidly quick and to take it gentle......he almost wrote it off at the end of the road loosing control and straight out into a busy round about.

:shock:

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]