DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gumtree retards
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:35 pm 
Pro Carpenter

Rorschach wrote:
big-all wrote:
i prefer to give things away :scratch:
for the warm glow :huray: :huray: :huray:

I thought the warm glow came from burning it? :lol:

thats when people return old things i have made that i cant rehouse directly
i then reuse interesting parts in view on other projects
i then recycle other bits often converted to 2x1 or 1x1 for drawer runners or for the base
i often on larger span bases in cupboards rebate new 6mmply[5.5mm]in the top
turn over cut an old bit off 6mm ply to slot quite close to the underside size but with 2mm all round gap
foaming pu glue zigzag about a 3mm bead 5- 10% surface coverage
if it lies flat then no load on top if a high spot a box off screws to settle down
this will then foam up by 3-6mm giving a solid 15-18mm base

then whats left gives a warm glow

part off my mantra is around 10% off materials are reused in view if good or hidden iff not :huray:

whats not useable after that is placed in the offcut bins with about another 10-20% finding use as clamping blocks folding wedges plugs what ever :lol:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:43 pm 
Pro Carpenter

stevewestern wrote:
big-all wrote:
i prefer to give things away :scratch:
for the warm glow :huray: :huray: :huray:

Well, I am after a nail gun..

afraid i dont have a spare otherwise i would :lol: :thumbright:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:20 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

I've sold quite a few items on Gumtree with no problems at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:21 pm 

BillyGoat wrote:
My last big sale was my R6 motorbike!

SO many f*ck ringing up and offering 400 quid when it was up for 2k or something???? When people rang and asked if they could buy it I said "If you are coming to BUY it, then you need to bring the full amount. If you try and knock me down in price, I'll just shut the door on you - do you understand?". So many people decided to "look at other bikes first".

When some yoof who was SUPER keen got through my email screening and then the warning above, I gave my address and he came round.......I was home alone and looked out the window and saw two golfs pull up and about 8 lads got out, some of them were Fuc$ing HUGE!!!!!

I thought if they try and take it, I'm going down swinging, so got a baseball bat by the door and snapped some pics of the cars..................NICE as pie, the lot of them. How wrong was I expecting trouble. Paid the full amount and done the paperwork. Told him it was stupidly quick and to take it gentle......he almost wrote it off at the end of the road loosing control and straight out into a busy round about.

:shock:

Some are fecktards the other way though. I sold my 350z sports car few years ago. The youngster that bought it left a 5k deposit telling me he'd give me the rest the following week once he cashed in some shares. He didn't even ask for a receipt. I could easily have pocketed the 5k and just ignored him. I would never have done that to him though but I'm sure there are some that would.

He paid me the remainder the following week and I told him to go easy as it was a powerful car with rear wheel
drive. He text me a few times for the next few weeks about the toad alarm and then I heard nothing since despite texting him a few times. I'm sure he must have wrapped it around a tree. I hope he's okay though.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 pm 

I have to admit, I found reading all the posts amusing, and oh so true.
I had one who didn't turn up because (I only found out 2 days later after texting a few times) it (The item on offer) wouldn't fit in her dads car.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:11 pm 

I've found Gumtree ok for buying but a bit off for selling. Mind you, my junk probably really is junk! I listed a push bike, collect only, that gained one reasonable reply but can I deliver, and 4 very short replies that were a real turnoff due to the total lack of grammar and sense. I did dissuade one of the kids from buying a 'brand new' bike for £25 where you had to arrange to meet in a wasteland - er, no.

Bear in mind eBay own Gumtree. I wonder how long before eBay start slapping rules and fees on.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:56 am 

Seems this sort of thing happens on Shpock. I joined a while ago, but only just started to sell stuff. One Item is up for £75 got offered £35 another item is up for £30 got offered £15. As others have said, If I had wanted that little I would have asked for it.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:26 am 
Site Admin

I have had a few more time wasters ::b

One guy wanted me to hold a van vault for him as he was getting his van in a weeks time. I held the item for him, despite having other offers for it. Even on the day he was coming to collect it I had an offer so telephoned him, he said he could not speak as he was just leaving work and would call me back- he didn't. He then text to say he would call the next day- that was a week ago ::b ::b ::b

Another idiot wanted to buy a small item so messaged me and said he would call at 17:30, then he messaged and said he could not make it, but would call the next day- he didn't arrive either ::b

Some of the buyers have been great, really nice/decent people but Gumtreee has a large percentage of time wasters/idiots ::b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:12 am 

Do any of you have "facebay" sites local to you,it's facebay Fife on my Facebook.
Basically tramps wanting things for nothing but they use the term "gift" They want the items dropped off as they don't have cars or drive and you get tons of folk posting up jobs needed doing in their house but want it done for the price of a day's giro!

I'll try and screenshot a few posts and put them up here,some of them are hilarious!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:28 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
Do any of you have "facebay" sites local to you,it's facebay Fife on my Facebook.
Basically tramps wanting things for nothing but they use the term "gift" They want the items dropped off as they don't have cars or drive and you get tons of folk posting up jobs needed doing in their house but want it done for the price of a day's giro!

I'll try and screenshot a few posts and put them up here,some of them are hilarious!

I had just shown my mum how to use FB and she was posting all sorts of sh*t up of Falkirk facebay type thing. She had put a Sony dvd player up for a fiver. Some scumbag came for it and then offered her £3 for it!!! Obviously trying it on with a pensioner. I had just walked in and then showed her the door and made sure she saw me putting my foot through the dvd player in the front garden and then chucking it in the wheelie bin. I gave my mum the fiver.

About a week later I saw the scumbag walking a country lane while it was p*ssing down. Me being me waited until she passed by a huge puddle and you know the rest :lol:

I made sure she knew it was me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:00 pm 

ultimatehandyman wrote:
I have had a few more time wasters ::b

One guy wanted me to hold a van vault for him as he was getting his van in a weeks time. I held the item for him, despite having other offers for it. Even on the day he was coming to collect it I had an offer so telephoned him, he said he could not speak as he was just leaving work and would call me back- he didn't. He then text to say he would call the next day- that was a week ago ::b ::b ::b

Another idiot wanted to buy a small item so messaged me and said he would call at 17:30, then he messaged and said he could not make it, but would call the next day- he didn't arrive either ::b

Some of the buyers have been great, really nice/decent people but Gumtreee has a large percentage of time wasters/idiots ::b

Just a thought, but can you put something like "Item priced to sell. First come first served. I can't hold items" in your ad?
At least they have been told then. . . :director:
(But thinking about it that never stopped people without PayPal bidding on my eBay items. etc. etc. ::b )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:10 pm 

The most annoying thing on Gumtree I find is contacting someone only to find out the item has been sold. Take it off then.

Or when I get asked if the item is still for sale. If it wasn't it wouldn't be on Gumtree would it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:19 pm 

I've just made up an eBay ad to sell the wife's first Mobility scooter.

I've bought plenty on eBay but this will be my first attempt at selling something.

I'll let you know if I get any real retards - I definitely had a couple selling the car on Autotrader.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:55 pm 

ayjay wrote:
I've just made up an eBay ad to sell the wife's first Mobility scooter.

I've bought plenty on eBay but this will be my first attempt at selling something.

I'll let you know if I get any real retards - I definitely had a couple selling the car on Autotrader.

Do you still get those people wanting to sell your car for you on Autotrader?
Firkin PIA they were at one time!

Again, it's been a long time since I tried it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:52 pm 

Having recently moved house, we were after a couple of bits and pieces, so kept our eye on Gumtree.
Every time we found what we wanted within a reasonable distance, we'd phone up, to be told "Oh, yes, that sold last week"

Well, remove the advert then ::b :cussing:

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]