DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:10 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi All,

Recently had a bathroom installed and had BAL Jasmine colour grouted in. Hold our hands up its not the correct colour on our part and not the tilers fault. We thought it would look ok but its too creamy for our liking.

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a layer of grout on top of this and if it would bond to the current grout that has been just done (3 days ago).

Half of the grout in the bathroom seems to be flush with the tiles and the other half is not flush meaning the grout is deeper in than the tiles leaving some space.

I am wondering if I scrapped away slowly to get some depth in the grout all over then I could skim a layer of a different colour grout on top.

Just wondering if I am way off in my idea or if its ok to do this?

Its high glossed pocerlain tiles so I am not inclined to take a power tool to get the grout out incase I start to chip or damage the tiles.

I am looking to get the colour lighter in the same shade or go for a light light grey colour.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:15 pm 

It will be a bit of a job but easier with the rght tool. A Multitool with a grout removal blade is the way to go. The blade has a very short back and forth movement and you can run down the grout lines and clear the old grout out to allow the reapplication of the new grout. See this video to get an idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG6XtggsPNg

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : VX35
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you for the reply, I have one of those tools and it would be a case of buying the correct attachment but I am scared I would damage the tile. They are prone to chipping, Might be a case of making sure I dont touch the tile at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:46 pm 

It looks worse than it is. You could use batten as a guide but to be fair two handed on the tool you will soon get into a rhythm. The problem is that you will not be able to grout on grout successfully so this really is the way to go. Get a couple of carbide blades to suit your multitool. Also turn the speed own to half as it much more controllable. Start in a less obvious place to get your experience and confidence and you will be okay. :thumbright:

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:58 pm 

If you aren't comfortable using a power tool on your expensive porcelain tiles (and I can understand why you wouldn't be)

then a manual grout rake might suit you better https://www.screwfix.com/p/pro-grout-rake-cutter/17903

It'll take a bit longer but less chance of damaging your new tiling. :salute:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/