DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:07 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all, I'm about to replace the doors on two fitted wardrobes and was hoping for some advise.

The openings on the wardrobes measure H2350 x W1600mm and H2350 x W1240mm

My initial thoughts were to use 18 or 22mm V-grooved MDF with no reinforcement, the doors would be ~400mm wide (so as not to protrude into the room too much). The wider wardrobe would have 2 pairs of bi-folding doors (I want to avoid dividing the wardrobe), and on the narrower wardrobe there would be one set of bi-folds and a single.

I'd like some advise on the following:

- Door construction, is 18mm MDF stable enough or should I go with 22mm despite the weight penalty?
Is 800mm width ok (will be supported by folding gear)?
- Recommendations on good quality folding gear (something like a BRIO Multifold 30 perhaps, though quite expensive)?
- Hinges, what type for; A) the door to frame, and B) door to door

Many thanks and happy NY!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:03 pm 
Old School Chippie

Hawa door sets, like these from Hafele, are designed for doors 19 to 25mm thick:

Attachment:
Hawa Folding Door Set 001_01.jpg
Hawa Folding Door Set 001_01.jpg [ 10.6 KiB | Viewed 535 times ]

which would make them suitable for veneered 18mm MDF (which normally works out at 19mm thick). They offer a range of alternatives and accessories (follow the link for end folding door). Ironmongery Direct also do lower cost sets which are top hung only and are designed for 20 to 40mm thick doors:

Attachment:
Ironmongery Direct Top Hung Folding Door Set 001_01.jpg
Ironmongery Direct Top Hung Folding Door Set 001_01.jpg [ 28.87 KiB | Viewed 535 times ]

These come as complete sets which I think are a better idea than trying to "brew your own"

I don't think that there is much difference in stability between 18 and 22mm other than what manufacturers state as a required thickness. If the room is subject to major changes in heat level or humidity (e.g south facing bedroom with picture windows) I might want to consider some form of tensioning bar inside the doors to mitigate any tendency to move. If you are concerned about weight it might also be better to consider a system with top and bottom tracks as opposed to top-hung only

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:57 am 
Newly registered Member

rkidday wrote:
Hi all, I'm about to replace the doors on two fitted wardrobes and was hoping for some advise.

The openings on the wardrobes measure H2350 x W1600mm and H2350 x W1240mm

My initial thoughts were to use 18 or 22mm V-grooved MDF with no reinforcement, the doors would be ~400mm wide (so as not to protrude into the room too much). The wider wardrobe would have 2 pairs of bi-folding doors (I want to avoid dividing the wardrobe), and on the narrower wardrobe there would be one set of bi-folds and a single.

I'd like some advise on the following:

- Door construction, is 18mm MDF stable enough or should I go with 22mm despite the weight penalty?
Is 800mm width ok (will be supported by folding gear)?
- Recommendations on good quality folding gear (something like a BRIO Multifold 30 perhaps, though quite expensive)?
- Hinges, what type for; A) the door to frame, and B) door to door

Many thanks and happy NY!

I have made fitted wardrobes with v grooves (mirroring existing cottage style design doors within the property).

I achieved this by using 18mm mdf and then using a v groove bit in my festool router and using the rails. Once I had pencilled the design and spacings onto the faces.

If you don’t have any festool rails or similar. You can use a long straight edge and clamps, once you calculate your offset.

That way you can personalise the design to match your door sizes. Rather than be restricted with the spacings given with a pre manufactured board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk