DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:25 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Grinding pewter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:17 pm 

This is a question for a friend rather than me but hopefully someone on here may be able to help.
My friend is building up a small pewter casting business , it's grown largely from a display he was doing via the re-enactments we do and he has now supplied a couple of craft centres.
His " problem" is that some of his castings sometimes need a little bit of cleaning up to remove sprues etc which he can do with a sharp knife and file but that can be time consuming if he's making a large run. Currently he has a bench grinder fitted with a fairly standard carborundum stone used before the casting moves on to a polisher. However , the stone soon clogs up with the soft metal. My own thoughts are that some sort of lubricated wheel may solve the clogging problem unless anyone with a bit more knowledge knows of a more suitable stone . I did wonder about some sort of linisher but again think that too may suffer from clogging.
Any ideas gratefully received.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Grinding pewter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:07 pm 

Difficult one...
Does it have to be on a bench grinder?

I was going to suggest a 4.5 or 5" grinder, with fibre discs, cheap and cheerful to throw away when clogged.

This sort of thing-
http://catalogue.3m.co.uk/en_gb/gb-asd/ ... _Disc~985C

For this message the author Hitch has received gratitude : Grendel
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:40 pm 

No it's not really a case of bench grinder or nothing else. The only really deciding factor is that the grinding "tool" is in a fixed position or rather fixed to a bench. The items he needs to grind are quite small , many are key ring fobs , and he will have a pile which go to the grinder then straight on to the polisher pretty much without it leaving his hand.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:09 pm 

For a soft material like pewter a file is really the best tool. A coarse sanding/linishing belt will do a good job though and is not difficult to clean.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : Grendel
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:44 pm 

Ha ha , I have said to him that a file would be the best tool largely because it means he can more easily save all the filings and return them to the pot but he's probably thinking of a speedier approach for when he hits the "big time" , plus as he says " nah a files too much like hard work and I'm lazy and impatient " .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:12 am 

Grendel wrote:
Ha ha , I have said to him that a file would be the best tool largely because it means he can more easily save all the filings and return them to the pot but he's probably thinking of a speedier approach for when he hits the "big time" , plus as he says " nah a files too much like hard work and I'm lazy and impatient " .

The amount of shavings saved vs the cost of pewter means that wouldn't be much a of a saving. A file though is an efficient tools on soft materials and hard to overwork. He will probably be best suited with a linisher, slow speed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:10 am 

Would a Dremel type tool be any good? See http://www.tool-shop.co.uk/Dremel/Acces ... raq12o8cb6

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : Grendel
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:24 am 

dewaltdisney wrote:
Would a Dremel type tool be any good?

I think with the right tool in the end it would be ideal: I do know a lot of ceramicists use them for their more delicate clean-up work.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : Grendel
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:15 pm 

Hi,

Tumbling machine? :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : Grendel
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:18 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
Grendel wrote:

The amount of shavings saved vs the cost of pewter means that wouldn't be much a of a saving. A file though is an efficient tools on soft materials and hard to overwork. He will probably be best suited with a linisher, slow speed.

To be fair he has improved , some of his earlier efforts had quite a large amount of flash to be taken off which commonly ended up in the grass. I'm a tight wad and hate waste which is why I mentioned about saving the filings. I did find a quote on the 'tinterweb that said pewter was something like the fourth most precious metal although frankly despite how much it costs we don't believe that .
.It does depend on the casting , some designs have little to clean off but others do require a bit more . I'll mention the linisher to him. Looking at it another way , does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning the grinding wheels or linisher belts?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:21 pm 

dewaltdisney wrote:
Would a Dremel type tool be any good? See http://www.tool-shop.co.uk/Dremel/Acces ... raq12o8cb6

DWD

He has tried a dremel and although it worked the grinding bits didn't have anywhere near the lifespan to make it economical , but thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:24 pm 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

Tumbling machine? :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.

Probably would be good for the final polish , probably better than the wheel he uses now . We may have to rig one up just to try as I have a large bag of what seems to be clay balls that was used in a tumbler to polish resin statues lying around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:43 pm 

Hi,

I can highly recommend one of these blocks for cleaning abrasive belts. My chum David kindly bought me one as a prezzie a few years ago and I wouldn't now be without it. It cleans my abrasive belts like magic. :thumbleft:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-abrasive-belt-cleaner-76mm/16210

For my grindstones on the bench grinder I use an industrial diamond but if used frequently as it would need to be whilst grinding a soft metal the wheel life would be drastically reduced?

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:30 pm 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

I can highly recommend one of these blocks for cleaning abrasive belts. My chum David kindly bought me one as a prezzie a few years ago and I wouldn't now be without it. It cleans my abrasive belts like magic. :thumbleft:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-abrasive-belt-cleaner-76mm/16210

For my grindstones on the bench grinder I use an industrial diamond but if used frequently as it would need to be whilst grinding a soft metal the wheel life would be drastically reduced?

Kind regards, Col.

Oh yes those crepe blocks are superb. In a pinch though you can use cured silicone from an old tube.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:34 am 

That's interesting Rorschach and something I didn't know. My friend does use a two part compound for making moulds that cures into what is in effect silicone rubber . Maybe he can use an old mould for cleaning his wheel , many thanks.

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]