DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:43 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:57 am 
Newly registered Member

I was preparing to paint a room in our house and went to loosen the screws on the two sockets there in order to keep them off the wall and not get paint on the sides when I noticed some green sticky oily substance on the wall on the edge underneath it. I took the socket screws out and pulled the socket out a bit for further inspection and saw that the contacts inside had a good bit of this green sludge on them. I then went to check the other socket but it was clean. The socket in question is working and has obviously been that way for a long time without a problem but I wondered where it comes from, what caused it and is it a worry and what should I do about it?. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:11 pm 

Is it the external wall ? is it damp ?, moisture and salts are the main cause of the "green crustys"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:13 pm 

Its coming from the cables, it not common but its not unusual either.
Its the cables plasticiser, its used to make the cable sheath. It means that at some time your cable has got hot, and its now "leaking" The green stuff does not conduct electricity, but it does indicate the cable is breaking down. How long it will last for is any ones guess. The green stuff is not THAT bad for you, but don't eat it, or get it in your eyes, and do wash your hands.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received thanks - 2: bluesjunior, OnlyMe
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 pm 
Approved Electrician

someone-else wrote:
Its coming from the cables, it not common but its not unusual either.
Its the cables plasticiser, its used to make the cable sheath. It means that at some time your cable has got hot, and its now "leaking" The green stuff does not conduct electricity, but it does indicate the cable is breaking down. How long it will last for is any ones guess. The green stuff is not THAT bad for you, but don't eat it, or get it in your eyes, and do wash your hands.

I think that sums it up nicely.

It is the plasticiser that has reacted to an anti oxident that was used in some cables in the late 1960's. The only cure is a rewire, however if the symptoms are not too bad then the cable can be left in use and it is not considered by experts to be electrically unsafe. A Google of "green goo electrical cables" should find lot's of info on the subject.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:47 pm 

This is what can happen however we don't have the temperatures the same as Australia so not quite as bad over here. I general the problems arise when the cable is flexed, so in a brick built house it does not flex much, where the timber frame buildings present something very different, both because they flex more and there is something to burn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:58 pm 

Sorry, I don't agree. That is regarding a problem of "Cheap cable" going brittle.
bluesjunior asked about green goo.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here