DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:56 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi

I have a Glow Worm Ultimate Boiler that keeps cutting out. I've had a plumber out who has flushed the tank, bled the radiators and yet, the overheat button keeps popping out. The boiler lights for a few minutes and then the over heat button pops out and the boiler then cuts off. The radiators are still cold. I've turned up my thermostat to see if the boiler stays on longer but it makes no difference. Please can someone tell me what it might be? My immersion heater works so therefore I can get hot water, but the boiler doesn't heat up water or the radiators. Any help would be appreciated - before I freeze :scratch: :? ::b

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:40 pm 

Did he check the pump :wink:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:37 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'm not sure - he went up in the loft and was in the airing cupboard. He did bleed the radiators and thick black stuff came out. I've just rebled them and black water is coming out. These are my friend's radiators that I'm helping. Upon bleeding the radiators tonight, the boiler stayed on but as soon as it reached a higher temperature it cut out. Can slurry in the pipes cause it? Or is it possibly the pump? But you can't hear water pumping round, you just get the bubbly noise when the switch pops out

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:46 pm 

I'd say it was the pump if it has a speed selector on it turn it up one and turn the thermostat on the boiler down to minimum not maximum and it won't overheat assuming there is some flow, turning it up makes it worse :wink:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

I've just turned the min/max button on the boiler to just above minimum and my friend has just turnt her thermostat up in the sitting room and see what happens. I will reply when I know more or if it kicks out again - whichever sooner. Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:01 pm 

If the pumps working you can expect the boiler to switch on and off quite frequently but not lockout and it will gradually get warm :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

It's still on at the mo, but then it stayed on longer when I got rid of a load of black water on 3 radiators. I will keep you posted. We might sound thick, but on the boiler, what is the min/max knob for? Is max to heat up the radiators quicker? Or is something else?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:18 pm 

It doesn't alter the power but it turns the flames off at a higher temperature if the water isn't circulating properly it will cause the temp to rise too much and pop the overheat button. At a lower temp it has a chance to clear the heat.

Guess the boiler sounded like a kettle popping and banging :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:22 pm 
Newly registered Member

It's got to the right temperature, so turned down the thermostat so that the flame on the boiler goes out. We then tested it by turning the thermostat right up and the boiler hasn't kicked in. ::b

Sorry :cb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

It didnt sound like a kettle popping/banging, but more of a gurgling and rumble but the over heat switch hasn't popped out yet. Think the only thing my friend can do is wait until her heating is due to come on in the morning. But at the mo, there is no flame, the flame doesn't light upon turning the thermostat up even though we over rode the time switch, and the over heat button hasn't popped out. Thank you for your help though :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:24 pm 

Regardless of what is or is not causing your fault, if the water is black when you bleed the rads, it needs a good flush or power flush.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you. That is what I told her last night cos I said it shouldn't come out like flat black hot coke. I think she needs a different plumber! He spent 4 hours in the roof on Saturday and none the wiser whereas I got rid of some of the black stuff and the radiators heated up. Thank you for your help though. Sandy

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]