Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:10 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:24 am 

Anyone had, got or used one?
If so then what can you tell me - I am about to cut down a couple of small trees and am hoping to get an incinerator to burn as much of the small stuff as possible as the alternative is a dozen trips to the tip.
Given that the trees are alive the wood will be very green, so will the smaller branches burn along with the twigs?
Any advice much appreciated!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:45 am 

No idea about where you live, but here in Luton, you are not allowed to have any sort of bonfire. Even on November 5th (But they turn a blind eye to that one) I would there for suggest you check your local council website. Mate of mine got a visit from the council (it wasn't Nov 5th)

The other thing is as you said the wood will be green, it does not burn at all, it has to get dried out by the fire, then burn.
I would however suggest you chop it into as small pieces as you can be bothered to (Its easier said than done, been there done that) keep it in a pile and put some in your normal bin, it will take a long while but it does work.

You could buy a cheap "shredder" but if you do, get one with teeth, not a spinning disc (it says what is what in the specs) The disc ones often jamb up. Like wise you could rent one. (I have been in a hire shop and they have the disc ones (Cheap at the time) they are often being stripped down to get the odd bits out as they are jambing)

I actually got rid of a whole tree by cutting it down, bit at a time, cutting the bits to smaller bits, put them in the normal bin.

If you can / do burn it why buy an incinerator? often they are just a bin with holes in. Put what you can burn on the ground stacked loosely add something easy to ignite, (paper) and set fire to it, no incinerator to get rid of just a black patch in your lawn :lol:

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : stevewestern
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:52 am 

someone-else wrote:
No idea about where you live, but here in Luton, you are not allowed to have any sort of bonfire. Even on November 5th (But they turn a blind eye to that one) I would there for suggest you check your local council website. Mate of mine got a visit from the council (it wasn't Nov 5th)

The other thing is as you said the wood will be green, it does not burn at all, it has to get dried out by the fire, then burn.
I would however suggest you chop it into as small pieces as you can be bothered to (Its easier said than done, been there done that) keep it in a pile and put some in your normal bin, it will take a long while but it does work.

You could buy a cheap "shredder" but if you do, get one with teeth, not a spinning disc (it says what is what in the specs) The disc ones often jamb up. Like wise you could rent one. (I have been in a hire shop and they have the disc ones (Cheap at the time) they are often being stripped down to get the odd bits out as they are jambing)

I actually got rid of a whole tree by cutting it down, bit at a time, cutting the bits to smaller bits, put them in the normal bin.

Many thanks for your reply - I'd not thought about a shredder, so better look into them.
Down here in Cornwall all my neighbours burn garden rubbish, but the trees I am cutting down now are in London, so smoke may be an issue.... Thanks for pointing that out to me!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:52 am 

There's no law in the UK banning bonfires. If you have one regularly it could be deemed a nuisance (and action could be taken) but just every now and again there's nothing to stop you.

https://www.gov.uk/garden-bonfires-rules

http://www.hampshireopenstudios.org.uk/

Come and see me and/or my friends and our work at venue 62.

http://www.hampshireopenstudios.org.uk/ ... ty-friends

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:13 am 

Green wood will be hard to burn and it will smoke. I have just burned a number of broken down knackered fence panels and they burned very clean. I was amazed at how quick they went and the next day there was hardly any ash left. If you can stand it, cover the wood waste with a tarpaulin for a few weeks and let it dry. You will have a much better chance of burning. The best tool is a smaller chipper if you can hire one like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75wAK9AIgms

Good luck

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:42 am 

Most of the London boroughs have low smoke or clean air rules local councils do hand out fines there only 3-4 times a year you legally burn stuff

You may find it cheaper to get someone in as long as it isn't central london

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:58 pm 

I got rid of a truck load of trees branches roots on the allotment earlier this year took a full day, they had been cut the year previous, so had dried out and the leaves dropped off. I used an oil barrel with holes cut in the bottom (see utube videos ). The heat was intense, hardly any visible smoke, even though it was a still day the ash that rose was red and glowing it burnt a hole in the back of my jacket and nearby weed control fabric, the barrel glowed red. You need to keep the hose pipe on hand and damp down properly to make sure its out. All gone in a long days work with a couple of barrows of ash left to put around potash loving plants.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=621

What type of tree are they (some trees are flammable eg cypress firs etc)

Some other cheaper alternatives are:
Do you know anyone who wants the trunks for firewood/wood turning
If you have an area thats fallow you can dig a pit and bury the branches after cutting them up and put the soil back on then plant into it after a number of years it rots down and the soil levels (mini version of the process called Hugelkultur)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 pm 

Many thanks for all the replies - I think I'm going to buy a Bosch atx 25 tc chipper which seems to get good reviews and is on offer at present. It is quiet, seems powerful and can take 45mm branches. At £300 on amazon I am justify the cost to my client as it'll save a lot of labour going to the tip and I could use it at home after... The biggest bits of trunk can be left to dry, and the chippings put on the compost heap.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:47 pm 

stevewestern wrote:
Many thanks for all the replies - I think I'm going to buy a Bosch atx 25 tc chipper which seems to get good reviews and is on offer at present. It is quiet, seems powerful and can take 45mm branches. At £300 on amazon I am justify the cost to my client as it'll save a lot of labour going to the tip and I could use it at home after... The biggest bits of trunk can be left to dry, and the chippings put on the compost heap.

I have one of those, and it certainly does the job well. Hsd it a couple of years now and very pleased with it.

Colin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:51 pm 

camallison wrote:
stevewestern wrote:

I have one of those, and it certainly does the job well. Hsd it a couple of years now and very pleased with it.

Colin

Thanks, that's great to hear. I was baulking at the usual price but at £300 it seemed a no-brainer - it's arriving Monday, so perfect timing and as a bonus the weather is meant to be good for the next few days!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:54 pm 

stevewestern wrote:
Many thanks for all the replies - I think I'm going to buy a Bosch atx 25 tc chipper which seems to get good reviews and is on offer at present................. and the chippings put on the compost heap.

It'll take longer than you think to pass it all through the chipper.

The chippings will slow down the rate that your compost heap breaks down, mix the chippings with plenty of grass cuttings if composting.

http://www.hampshireopenstudios.org.uk/

Come and see me and/or my friends and our work at venue 62.

http://www.hampshireopenstudios.org.uk/ ... ty-friends

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:10 pm 

ayjay wrote:
There's no law in the UK banning bonfires. If you have one regularly it could be deemed a nuisance (and action could be taken) but just every now and again there's nothing to stop you.

https://www.gov.uk/garden-bonfires-rules

I am in slight error.

What ayjay has linked to is correct, however what he then went onto say is also correct, but it it the nuisance part that our council will take you to court on (Or try to) They (our council) say
LBC wrote:
Burning waste materials in a garden incinerator can also cause a smoke nuisance, so we are asking Luton residents not to use them.

So although it is legal to use one, they ask you not to use one. :?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:37 pm 

ayjay wrote:
It'll take longer than you think to pass it all through the chipper.

It'll take a lot less time than it would take for me to go to the tip a dozen or so times I expect...!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:31 am 

You're best curtting them down and leaving them to dry for a year.

I regularly fish up the Lochs. I often see the city dwellers cut down tress expecting them to burn :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:40 am 

To be honest I'd burn them at the weekend and by the time the council staff get a report your stuff will be gone then just deny it. Most prosecutions rely on the admitted evidence of the perpetrator.

A few years ago I burnt an old hedge, thinking I was doing good I called the local fire station to let them know. At midnight when everyone was tucked up in bed I burnt them but the old codger next door asked me sarcastically if he should call the fire service. I told him it was all under control which it was. I had the fire at a low level and the garden hose beside me in case it got out of hand.

Half an hour later I saw the blue lights and a fireman was walking down my garden path with his hose. I explained the situation to him and told him I had taken all precautions and I had called them earlier to let them know. He told me they knew but still had to visit if someone called :scratch:

So calling them in advance was a complete waste of time.

I knew it was the old codger next door so I faked a letter from the Fire Service and sent him a bill for £600 for wasting the Fire Service's time :lol: I'd have loved to have seen his face. :lol: