DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Garage Heating In Winter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:13 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi All,

I have a single skin brick freestanding garage approx 5m x 5m which I multi use as a workshop, pub and gym. (gym use admittedly mostly theoretical)

It has a flat EPDM roof and no DPC under the slab floor. It doesn’t get damp as its well ventilated and I haven’t tanked it in any way. But you can see moisture appear on the slab floor in certain conditions.

From Mid April through to October it's perfectly habitable and bone dry in all but the rainiest weather (when you can some moisture shadow through slab floor) but in terms of its pub use I generally pack away at the end of October when I assume its the variation of cold temperatures in the morning and warmer temps in the afternoons creates a lot of condensation, so bottles, papers and anything perishable in that sense is moved indoors.

The question is, does anyone have an idea to keep it functional throughout the winter in terms of a heating solution. I'm not likely to tank/plasterboard or drag up the floor to put in a dpc as that would be way too much mess/expense and it has a certain er... basic charm as it is.

Anyway, its a large space which will easily fit fifteen or so people in it and would great to be able to use it for a get together at Christmas or when the Six Nations is on. An occasional heating rig would work in one sense, but the main problem is that all the stuff has to be packed away due to the condensation... I guess I could heat it constantly but that that would likely prove too costly. Hmm....

:dunno:

Any ideas or insight would be much appreciated as I'm struggling to think of a decent solution...

Many thanks in advance :)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:17 pm 

woodburner in corner, vented out through the wall? just light it when you want to be in there to take the chill off

http://www.marcuswhitehead.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/joinerbuilder

For this message the author marcusjkw has received gratitude : lozinger
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Marcus,

Thanks - I do like the idea of a woodburner - Although the last time I enquired the ducting I needed was ending up costing more than the burner itself as like you say it has to go out through the wall not straight up through he EPDM. Its very appealing solution to occasional use and would easily make a 5x 5 space good and warm. Id still have the condensation problem though I'm guessing. I might have to accept that I have to pack the pub stuff bottles etc up and away just unpack them when I heat it.

L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:18 pm 

You insulate it and install a thermostatic electric radiator. Guess it depends how much use you plan on getting from it over the winter.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : lozinger
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 pm 

Portable gas fire or two? (But you should not block the room ventilation)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : lozinger
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:17 am 

I would advise against gas or paraffin since they both produce a lot of moisture which is something that is trying to be avoided.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : lozinger
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:00 am 

Re a woodburner, yes it will work, about 5/7kwt should be enough, they are messy, take a fair bit of looking after, you need somewhere to store the wood, friendly joiner perhaps? doesn't matter if top or back flue, straight out of wall and up, now the question is how far up? you need a good "Draw" that's one of the flues job, for my fire we had to go up three meters, what are your surroundings? you do get sparks coming out, also smoke, not nice for neighbours, if you have power then electric is the way to go, if no power then think about a through the wall gas fire/heater, bottle of gas outside, flue straight out from the back through the wall instant heat easy to control, about the same price of a good stove, also its battery ignition, so no main needed. Just make sure you have good ventilation, and follow all safety instructions. Nos

For this message the author Nos has received gratitude : lozinger
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:35 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, thanks all for this everyone - I think my best bet then is to choose an electric as I have power to the garage - I've worked out with little insulation and about 62m3 of volume I'll need 2.5kw - this seems to have good reviews... but if anyone has a recco for one with thermo/timer then id be delighted to hear it.

clarke-devil-6003-industrial-electric-fan-heater

Again, it still leaves me with the problem of introducing heat to very cold surfaces as that's where my condensation will occur - but i guess without adding insulation I'll just have to accept that unless i have the heat on regualrly and constantly then this is going to happen - and work around this and just pack up and unpack perishable bits as I need them. :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:45 pm 

I did a bit of (minimal) research into this quite recently, oil filled radiators appeared to come out as the best option all round.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : marcusjkw