DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:15 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:26 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi folks.

Have a concrete garage floor that's showing signs of age in need of attention. Been putting it off for a while.

Garage is used to park a car, and will continue to do so.

As the pics show, floor is a little broken in places, has been patched here and there, surface crumbling, chips breaking off and a fair bit of dust now being created. Surface wasn't sealed or painted when laid afaik.

My aim is to raise the floor a couple of inches to help stop rainwater blowing in through the bottom of the garage door.

My question:
Is it ok to just add a 2" layer of concrete/cement (or whatever material best) to this existing floor, seal/paint it, and hope it won't crack and break with the weight of a family car...
Or to remove this existing floor completely, install rebar and relay it from scratch?

I know it's always going to be better to re-do the whole thing, but I'm wondering how viable a cheaper quicker fix of a 2" top layer will be. What material would be best suited, how long might it last, would it take a car coming and going over it daily etc.

I wouldn't be too bothered about the whole thing, but it's just getting worse with time.

Thanks.

Attachments:
IMG_2746.JPG
IMG_2746.JPG [ 622.1 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
IMG_2749.JPG
IMG_2749.JPG [ 663.71 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
IMG_2750.JPG
IMG_2750.JPG [ 690.83 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
IMG_2745.JPG
IMG_2745.JPG [ 658.82 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:00 pm 

Looking at your photo's it's my feeling that your garage floor would lend itself to a repair by 'Screeding' over the top with Sharp Sand/Cement mixed @ 4:1 mixed as a semi-dry mix (just enough water so that when a sample lump as big as a wallnut holds together when squeezed in your hand. You mentioned 50mm thick, well 60mm would be better.
Apply a coat of Unibond (mixed as on the can) just before laying).
To prevent lifting or curling, you could lay chicken wire over the area and screed over it.
The only negative thing I see is that the new screed may cause the wooden frame of the garage to rot at the bottom!

Link to help you in screeding:-
https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=of ... ogenttYcMg

davyp1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks Davy, good to know a screed option is available. Will check that out.

Garage walls and frame are all concrete, no wood anywhere, so no worries there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

A question on the amount of material required.

Floor is 20' x 10' (6m x 3m, roughly), and screed 60mm thick (as you suggest). How much sharp sand & cement would I need?

Edit to add: found online calculator (http://source4me.co.uk/calculate_floor_screed.htm), gave me this. Does this look about right?

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 17.28.35.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 17.28.35.png [ 52.42 KiB | Viewed 874 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

One thing before I go ahead and order the materials for the screed.

Is it fine to place a vapour barrier/membrane down on the existing concrete floor to help prevent any dampness coming up through the screed layer? Seems to me, esp in the winter, this floor suffers a little from rising damp. I know there's some polythene under the existing concrete, but not sure if it's as effective as it should be.

If this is ok, I imagine there's no much point sealing the old concrete with pva.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:33 am 
Newly registered Member

Went a slightly different route in the end.

Got local concrete business to deliver C35 grade 10mm aggregate fibre reinforced concrete yesterday. Laid well, next door neighbour works in the concrete industry and lent us a "big blue" (bull) float and some other stuff, as well as some expert advice. Even lent us a Leica laser level, but didn't use it in the end.

Worked out volume needed was a little more than my measurements calculated, but worth the extra cost. Around £300 all in for the concrete, done in one day, as opposed to pretty much the same cost as DIY - sourcing and costing all the materials needed, the extra time needed to do the mixing yourself on site, hoping the weather doesn't turn etc. Definitely worth it.

Not exactly "ultimate handyman", mind you. :-)

Next question is on sealing and/or painting the surface. Once it's cured/dried, the garage will be used to keep a car. Would like to preserve the concrete for a long as possible, neighbour suggested using simple PVA bonding as a sealer. I'm thinking this might be fine, but it'll have no effect on colour. I was thinking about a painted finish, a lighter grey/blue to give it a little more light. Am planning to paint interior garage walls white to help this.

Any tips on floor paint that seals correctly?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

Just to close this thread, few pics of the job. Painted with a couple of coats of Leyland garage floor paint, gives a decent finish.

Attachments:
IMG_2904b.jpg
IMG_2904b.jpg [ 579.96 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]
IMG_2903c.jpg
IMG_2903c.jpg [ 542.62 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]
IMG_2902d.jpg
IMG_2902d.jpg [ 508.66 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]