Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Garage cable size help
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:39 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi folks,was just wondering if someone can help me size the swa cable for my garage.looked at sizing charts online but confusing really as it’s asking questions I don’t know answers to.anyway the run is 17m,buried underground in plastic conduit,and gonna have a couple of sockets in there,striplights and will need a supply for welder and compresser( not using both at the same time).appreciate any help with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:25 am 

Hmmm, not helpful but just my opinion, as this is going to have to be signed off and require a lot
of knowledge about the regulations it might just be better to employ an electrician and offer to do
the donkey work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 am 
Newly registered Member

jaeger wrote:
Hmmm, not helpful but just my opinion, as this is going to have to be signed off and require a lot
of knowledge about the regulations it might just be better to employ an electrician and offer to do
the donkey work.
yeah going to install the cable myself and let sparky do connections so he can certify it.at the moment I’ve got 30m of 2.5mm swa which I don’t think is big enough now.brother has contacted his mate who is a spark so hopefully he will get it sorted.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:40 pm 

zedhead1 wrote:
as it’s asking questions I don’t know answers to.

So if you don't know, how is any one here supposed to know?

Cable calculations are based on length of run and amount of current required.

There is (as already said) more to it than it appears, especially if you have a high current device (such as your welder) there is also the earthing arrangements. The "mate" of your brother can not really help you (Same as we can't) unless he visits site.

To solve your problem, I would call an electrician, get him to come round and you tell him what you want, and what you want to run, AND you tell him you will do the donkey work.
If he says he will supply the kit, let him, because if you buy it, you will no doubt buy the cheapest you can (its only natural) then when it goes wrong, you will blame him for it, even though its your fault (You got cheap kit) and it turns into a nightmare job. (Seen it happen more than a few times over the years)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
zedhead1 wrote:
as it’s asking questions I don’t know answers to.

So if you don't know, how is any one here supposed to know?

Cable calculations are based on length of run and amount of current required.

There is (as already said) more to it than it appears, especially if you have a high current device (such as your welder) there is also the earthing arrangements. The "mate" of your brother can not really help you (Same as we can't) unless he visits site.

To solve your problem, I would call an electrician, get him to come round and you tell him what you want, and what you want to run, AND you tell him you will do the donkey work.
If he says he will supply the kit, let him, because if you buy it, you will no doubt buy the cheapest you can (its only natural) then when it goes wrong, you will blame him for it, even though its your fault (You got cheap kit) and it turns into a nightmare job. (Seen it happen more than a few times over the years)
i mean it asks a question about circuit layout.what does it mean by that?also it asks how many amps,again does it mean with lighting and sockets working together or welder and sockets etc,I don’t know

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:19 pm 

Due to your lack of understanding*, it is clear your best option is to do nothing until you have found an electrician to do the work for you. You tell him what you want, then he can tell you what he wants put where.

* I am not knocking you for your lack of knowledge, its just that a job such as this requires someone who knows what they are doing in order for it to be safe.

By all means ask more than one electrician to quote for the job.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
Due to your lack of understanding*, it is clear your best option is to do nothing until you have found an electrician to do the work for you. You tell him what you want, then he can tell you what he wants put where.

* I am not knocking you for your lack of knowledge, its just that a job such as this requires someone who knows what they are doing in order for it to be safe.

By all means ask more than one electrician to quote for the job.
yeah I know what you mean bud,I don’t actually know tbh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:24 pm 

Welder to me means at least a 32 amp supply, so I would say over 4 mm but as to actually size don't know, there are two factors, one is volt drop and the other is earth loop impedance and in both cases you need the readings from the supply point, also the permitted volt drop for lights is a lot less than power but I am not on the computer with the calculator so can't off hand give examples.

So the volt drop is line to neutral reading normally given as prospective short circuit current, and the earth is normally measured as earth loop impedance but pass level depends on earthing system is it TT or TN.