DIY Forum


Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest


DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum




It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:40 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:14 pm 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 3723
Has thanked: 1173 times
Been thanked: 1069 times
ayjay wrote:
marcusjkw wrote:

Why is it a fox-wedge though? Is it not just a wedge unless used in a specific way, i.e. fox-wedging a tenon?

I only know of the carpentry uses, but I've always thought they were called Fox Wedges to echo the Foxes cunning, as in my preferred use of them in a closed mortice; this makes it a stub tenon, but wedged - cunning, you see. :-)

Not my drawing, nicked from the web.
fox wedged tenon.jpg

That's what I'd call Fox wedges as well ayjay. I thought it was because it was cunning as well. I don't think I've ever actually made that joint though. I always used to make them through if they were wedged, and use a bit of contrasting stuff for the wedges for show. That was on furniture though.

We always called steel wedges folding wedges FWIW. Handy for pulling gib head keys on bigger stuff.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2



Similar topics

Time zone: Europe/London

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics




News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group