DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:12 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 am 
Newly registered Member

I have water drains (a collection from houses up the road) running down my back garden. With the incline and where the walls will be built (dwarf wall for 3m x 3m) the pipe should be about 800mm to 900mm deep.

Question does any action need to be made to protect the pipe. Chap says that he will go down to 450mm to 750mm depending on conditions.

We assume that the pipe after a run of 3m will be 900mm deep, see photo.

Attachments:
drain.jpg
drain.jpg [ 134.01 KiB | Viewed 772 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

OMG, 254 views and not a single comment!

Perhaps too difficult a post to answer!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:46 pm 

I'm not one of the 254 views, you can't build over the drainage, any footings need to be well below invert levels.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

cotswold builders wrote:
I'm not one of the 254 views, you can't build over the drainage, any footings need to be well below invert levels.

So are you saying we can't have a conservatory in our back garden?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 pm 

No, you can have a conservatory but you cant lay concrete foundations over the drains.
As I said, footings to be below invert levels, if pipe runs along trench you need to decrease the size, if you increase the size then you need a build over agreement from the water board.
If pipe passes through footing, then it need bridging over.
Whichever you need to inform water board.

Have you had a look at build base, easy foundation systems for conservatories.

For this message the author cotswold builders has received gratitude : graham101
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:06 am 
Newly registered Member

cotswold builders, thanks for the information. I did have a search on BuildBase but could find nothing. However from a general search I came across QuickBuild and Durabase, but nothing on costs, they both want you contact them for further information. Not keen on Quickbase as pile driving, so water board may still need to be informed?

The problem is two fold: A friend of a friend said he would do the conservatory (design and order and install) but needs a local builder to do the foundations. The local builder said needs to contact water board and perhaps bridge over drains; they are two pipe runs from two drains a meter apart and would run through the centre of the conservatory.
I am happy with this but conservatory chap who is project managing says foundation will not reach the pipes so OK and don't need a bridge or inform water board!

I think we are building problems for the future and so interested in the easy foundation systems for conservatories, but would like to see good reviews and not hard sales and would like the option to buy our own conservatory to place on top. Otherwise let the builder contact the water board and do the footings required by them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm 

Yes should have said, Durabase consevatorys .

Its always best to check with the drain owners, any problems they can make you take it down ( extensions included )

It sounds like you mean the drainage run through ( not along ) the foundations and will be under the proposed conservatory.
If so, then the pipes will need to be bridged ( lintel ) over or wrapped in a cushioning material such as glass fibre quilt.
This would need to be agreed with water board.

Even then they will stipulate that should there be a problem the onus is on you to provide access to the drains

For this message the author cotswold builders has received gratitude : graham101