DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:28 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Forum etiquette
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:33 pm 

What's happening to forums these days, people have no patience, rude, attitude or just plain arrogant, you spend your time to reply to a thread only to be told - GO DO ONE (or words to that affect) - charming

I'm a Mod on a few forums one member not getting the answer they wanted posted 7-8 times in 20 min's across the site - wanting PROOF that a feature could be activated on a device by the company - many members have had this done FOC, no doubt he had a attitude towards the company, that's why they got a large quote instead of it being done FOC

Treat people how you want to be treated yourself and be patient with those with the Knowledge, Advice or Skills you require

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Bob225 has received thanks - 6: big-all, Dave54, Job and Knock, Retired, ultimatehandyman, wine~o
 Post subject: Re: Forum etiquette
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:39 pm 

It's the ones that expect an answer inside 10 mins or they get stroppy. Probably only half a dozen I refused to answer over the years. It is getting worser.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:17 pm 

flash22 wrote:
What's happening to forums these days, people have no patience, rude, attitude or just plain arrogant, you spend your time to reply to a thread only to be told - GO DO ONE (or words to that affect) - charming

I'm a Mod on a few forums one member not getting the answer they wanted posted 7-8 times in 20 min's across the site - wanting PROOF that a feature could be activated on a device by the company - many members have had this done FOC, no doubt he had a attitude towards the company, that's why they got a large quote instead of it being done FOC

Treat people how you want to be treated yourself and be patient with those with the Knowledge, Advice or Skills you require

I know what you mean and people can be impatient or even downright rude without meaning to be.

So if some-one says "it can't be that because I've already removed 1/2 of whatever it was that was causing the problem" In response to your post... no matter how altruistic you are just ignore them... or let them wait...

After all there is bound to a new smart-phone out in a while......

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:53 pm 

this is the 6-7 time in the last ten days not just on diy type forums, the forums I mod on I get the big ban stick out :ban:

iKN. I Know Nothing, just meandering through life picking stuff up as I go

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:15 pm 

flash22 wrote:
the forums I mod on I get the big ban stick out :ban:

Gosh that is a bit harsh isn't it ? I think the Mods on here at least warn people about any bad behaviour before handing out red-cards...

:dunno:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:33 pm 

I think miscommunication also has a lot to do with it particularly when reading text. For example you can say 'f*ck off' in about 20 different ways but only one way when typing so sometimes it can be misconstrued as being rude.

I remember when I was at Wakefield Prison College in the 90's we had 3 weeks of non verbal communication lessons. A lot of it was complete horseshit but some of it was true.

I have quite a sarcastic sense of humour which can sometimes be taken the wrong way in text, I'm sure many others are the same.

For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : Gadget
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:50 am 

wine~o wrote:
flash22 wrote:
the forums I mod on I get the big ban stick out :ban:

Gosh that is a bit harsh isn't it ? I think the Mods on here at least warn people about any bad behaviour before handing out red-cards...

:dunno:

I use the 3 strikes rule - but zero tolerance to trolls and keyboard warriors, why let one person spoil it for the many - I have been a mod and admin since the days of dial up bbs systems

yes you do get a clash of personalities that's for sure, sarcasm gets lost in translation sometimes, as well as irony

There are 3 things I don't like (Hate or pet peeve are the wrong words)

New member's who don't read posts or do a search and just expect you to do all the work for them

Members who dig up old posts from 1-5 years ago then post a one liner like 'I had this happen too LOL :)' - coconuts

MEMBERS THAT POST ALL IN CAPS FOR NO REASON AND USE TO MANY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?????????????????????

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:43 am 

Vague questions with not enough information or pictures gets my goat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:23 am 

Hi,

Politeness and courtesy costs nothing but unfortunately these days both are being replaced by bad attitude and swearing; I blame the parents. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've worked in hostile environments such as the mill and underground but I came to realize many years ago I could better myself; I don't have to be crude; offensive or use foul language at every other word to make myself understood; I'm no prude and live in the real world; I concentrate on good things like Bron and our home and avoid bad things as much as possible. Bron and I are very selective as to whom we invite into our home also we are selective as to our friends. We are not snobs or stand-offish but just looking at some people we know instinctively to avoid them.

I'm selective in what I read or reply to on forums; I'd like to reply to all the members who are genuine and helpful but I simply don't have enough time; I'm not keen on plumbing although I do it on a need to basis; electrics I shy away from due to health and safety implications but I do all our own electrics including installing my own 3 phase. Building projects and members success stories I enjoy but again it comes down to time.

I dislike it when forum members go head to head with an obvious conflict of personalities; we are all different and I try my best to rub along peacefully with everyone; we can all get upset at times and vent our feelings in text on a forum when things go wrong; it's easy enough to know genuine forum members who post adding interest whilst trying to help; every forum I've been a member of has it's share of "Tall poppies" those who make a lot of noise whilst adding little. UHM is a top forum hence I spend time boring you all with my ramblings. :thumbleft:

I always read and check my posts to see if they can offend in any way and to check grammar and spelling before hitting the submit button; I'm just a dinosaur of the old school and don't fit in with lots of what goes for standard these days.

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : Bob225

Time zone: Europe/London