DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:02 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm 
Newly registered Member

Please someone help me I'm having a nightmare with my car seat. The lever underneath the drivers side that move the car forward and backwards has snapped off and is stuck all the back. I can't reach the peddles now and am having to use loads of cushions so that I can. I was told by someone at work that I should be able to lift it myself by using 2 screwdrivers. I have tried this, but I haven't got a clue were to put the screwdrivers to lift it. I took a look to see were the passenger side lifts and the tried it with the drivers side, but nothing's moving and I'm worried I may break the seat completely. I don't know much about cars at all (apart from how to drive one) so if someone could please help me by giving me and idiots guide of how to fix it, that would be amazing! The seats are not electrical. I really can't afford to go to a mechanic at the moment and need my car for work :(

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:08 pm 

I don't know how much of it is broken, you will most likely have to lift both sides of the sprung catches and maybe get someone to help.

Try to look at it then you will see what you have to do to move it, if not post photos if you can and we can try to help more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:05 pm 

Is this like your seat ? http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_ ... Market=USA

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:05 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes this is like my drivers seat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:35 pm 

Okay, I will try to guide you how to do it. The U shaped lever that you would normally pull up is connected to two spring loaded pins that locate in a row of holes in the seat rails. These holes determine how far back or forward the seat position is locked in. Get something to kneel on as you will need to get down to put your head in the foot well with a torch. You will see under the seat the rails and two locking pins on either side. Now these pins will have to be lifted simultaneously to allow the seat to move to the next hole and so on. The two screwdrivers mentioned are to lift the pins each side for this purpose but three flat ended screwdrivers or old knives are needed to make it easier for you. It is a bit fiddly but achievable with a bit of effort. If you push the screwdriver under the left side lever arm (to the front) you should be able to raise it and lift the pin out of the rail hole. Once you have the pin up jam the next screwdriver under it to stop it locking in again. Repeat on the right side and lift the pin out and jam it with the second screwdriver. This will then allow you to pull the seat forward. Now the pins may jump into the next hole but just repeat the process until you have moved the seat to the position you want.

Come back if you are not sure and if you can take a picture of the underside of the seat it might help as I am doing this on general knowledge of how your seat may work.

Good luck

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 pm 

This might give you a better idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X__1SmYR7JI Although this is for a Subaru the principle of operation is much the same as your seat.

Let me know how you get on :thumbright:

DWD