DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:49 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi
I have a couple of questions about footings to support sleeper walls for suspended wooden floors
1. Ive dug out the footings 40cm x 40cm to lay foundation blocks around 4" off wall to support the joists, is this over the top for sleeper walls? if so, should I fill with stones first?
2. I calculate the volume I will need is 0.6 cu.m or 20.91 cu.ft. Is this mixable by hand or should I think about hiring cement mixer?
3. One of the footings next to the wall where the kitchen is (lead pipe near by) has filled with water. I have dug another hole around 5" deeper at the rear of property (in extension) to test if it is the water tables limit and it hasnt filled with water. how can i know without ripping up the kitchen floor if this water is not simply coming from long term water leaks that are on the lead pipe running across the house but not under the kitchen?
Any advice would be very much appreciated
Thanks
legepe
ps: its a mid terrace house built pre 1900 i guess

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 pm 

legepe wrote:
Hi
I have a couple of questions about footings to support sleeper walls for suspended wooden floors
1. Ive dug out the footings 40cm x 40cm to lay foundation blocks around 4" off wall to support the joists, is this over the top for sleeper walls? if so, should I fill with stones first?
2. I calculate the volume I will need is 0.6 cu.m or 20.91 cu.ft. Is this mixable by hand or should I think about hiring cement mixer?
3. One of the footings next to the wall where the kitchen is (lead pipe near by) has filled with water. I have dug another hole around 5" deeper at the rear of property (in extension) to test if it is the water tables limit and it hasnt filled with water. how can i know without ripping up the kitchen floor if this water is not simply coming from long term water leaks that are on the lead pipe running across the house but not under the kitchen?
Any advice would be very much appreciated
Thanks
legepe
ps: its a mid terrace house built pre 1900 i guess

I guess the professional answer would be you should go the same depth as the house foundation. In practice going deep enough to hit load bearing ground woukd be ok.

Why do you need a sleeper wall?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:28 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for reply.. Im putting sleeper walls so not to go into existing walls with joists and make it a lot easier to get level

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 pm 

why not abandon the lead pipe and install a plastic water supply. from external stop tap to internal shut off is best.
i dont understand what or how you are doing. can you post photos and a rough plan view of what youve got an what you want?
sleeper walls dont usuly need deep footings?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ive just tried again to post pic but it wont have it...! it says - The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1200 pixels wide and 1600 pixels high. The submitted image is 1920 pixels wide and 1080 pixels high.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:17 pm 

Just dig down to virgin ground, your not building a block of flats, build the wall in block or brick, honeycomb to allow a good air flow.

Lay dpc then bed on a timber wall plate, unless your brickwork is spot on omit the plate.

Depending on the span, size of timbers, you might need a central wall.

Fit noggins and check good ventilation, check air bricks.

While your at it, think about fitting some solid insulation under the floor.

Renew/reroute any pipes/cables.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

I was thinking of making only 2 spans of joists (50x147mm) from wall to wall to cut down on my work required with supporting sleeper walls and create better air flow, however I need to span a maximum distance of 3.5m... would you say this is too much?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:01 pm 

iif you only need two joists then if the span is 3.5m then whats the total width?
I'd have thought you would need at least 4 joists for even a narrow room or compartment.
if you use 2 x 7's or 2 x 8's then you dont need a sleeper wall to support the length.
you might be better off going across the width.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:01 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks but the problems are that if i put the joist the other way then air flow would be a problem i guess... and im advised that you can only use 50 x 147 max size joist for ground floor..