DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:36 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:23 am 
Newly registered Member

Please advise me....

I had a reputable local roofing company 1) replace a tired flat roof and 2) do the necessary chimney works to stop damp on my chimney breast wall and wet puddle inside the chimney base/fireplace.

The chimney work they did was 1)replace cowl with more suitable dome cowl and rebed in cement and silicon. 2)replace lead flushing to chimney.

When the work was done and before I signed it off I got the foreman to take my camera up there and take photos of all the work. It looked like a very good job to me. It comes guaranteed.

The problem is, when it rains, water still enters the chimney and still puddles on the tiled hearth. And the dampness in the chimney breast wall still hasn't dried after x months. I lodged a written complaint. The boss visited to check the work. He can't see how water is getting in other than perhaps "upward capillary action".

What exactly is he talking about? I have spent a lot of money but still have the damp problems. I can't re-paper the chimney wall or even just re-paint because it is still damp. I've bought a damp meter and it is giving damp reading that confirm this.

What can I do next? Hasthe roofing company met its obligations to me or should they be able to find and fix the problem?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 am 

Is there much brickwork of the chimney exposed outside?

Pictures would be helpful.

It sounds like the building company have done their work professionally, but the work they have done hasnt got to the route of the problem. Im not sure its their fault as such. I suppose it depends whether they guaranteed their work would solve the damp, or they suggested doing the cowl and flashing as most likely cause but no guarantee of success.

The brickwork could be very porous so rain might get through to the inside bypassing the flashing. Or it could simply be getting in elsewhere.

If you are getting an actual puddle quickly after rain, that would suggest a direct path for rain to get through, maybe a hosepipe test would locate the entry point.

Does it happen in all rain, or just in strong wind?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:45 pm 

Also what is the age of the property ?

Does it have a damp proof course ?

Any down pipes in the vicinity ??

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:09 pm 

taking photos befor an after the work is best for you.this upwards stuff sounds like hes trying to say its rising damp - then why didnt he say that before messing about on the roof?
put the photos upof the stack and the chimney breast.
an its a bad job if its not worked, whats this using rebed in silicon on flaunching?thats bad
is the chimney breast on the flat roof or the main roof?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:40 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'll get the photos up. It is hard to explain otherwise.

It's a 1940s bungalow, with pitched tiled roof. With a flat roofed garage attached. The chimney stack is located half way between the house and garage. The chimney is visible in the room and in the garage, it juts out into both, each half way. In the loft there is no chimney to see because it is outside at that level. Its a straight up red brick chimney. In the garage the chimney (and wall) is a different type of red brick. I think its called engineering brick.

I could see water staining on the garage ceiling plywood and the roofing felt on the outside was very old.
The roofers quoted for ply per sq.m cost but found it didn't need replacing, so that it wasn't billed. It was an all new roof on top of existing ply that the roofers did.

Plus new lead flushing to all 4 sides of the chimney stack.
And a new terracotta cowl was fitted. A different shape to the one I had before. I couldn't see the top of the chimney and they didn't takes photos of it for me.

I told the roofer about the water problems and he inspected and decided what needed doing. And quoted for that. I expected the works to cure the problem.

I've checked my guarantee and it says 10 years for all the works.