DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 11:06 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:45 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, complete newb here so tell me if I'm doing this wrong!
We've just moved into a 1930s house that was last decorated in the early '90s, textured wallpaper everywhere!
Not to our taste so I'm trying to make some DYI improvements. I have no idea what I'm doing but Google and YouTube are helping. I even managed to change a gutter union after watching the ultimate handyman video on YouTube!
Here's my question(s):
1. I've stripped the wallpaper in the bedroom and I'm left with some flaky stuff on the bare walls. Is this old paint? What's the best way to prep the wall for painting? I don't feel confident with lining paper.
2. There was an old '30s electric heater stuck to the wall. I chiselled it off and filled most of the hole with mortar. I'm planning on filling the rest with Gyproc Easi Filler to get a smooth finish. Would that be the way to go?
Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Photos attached

Attachments:
File comment: Electric heater fill
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 460.85 KiB | Viewed 555 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 451.21 KiB | Viewed 555 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 436.4 KiB | Viewed 555 times ]
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 420.65 KiB | Viewed 555 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:04 pm 

1. That is paint on the wall, the creamy colour was the magnolia of the day back then..its probably a distemper or limewash..it has been panted over with modern paints which are not compatible..and they have been 'eaten' at by the paste as well..basically if the wall was a horse or a dog it would be put down.

You have the option for filling using a few buckets of easi-fil or similar..but you have got your work cut it..not just the filling but the rubbing down too...nightmare job.

And, it probably wont be just the once..the process with be scrape, seal the wall with a coat of primer sealer or thinned acrylic undercoat to bind it, fill, rub dow, fill again, rub down and paint..and you'll probably still have some filling left to do once the paint goes on..

I would seriously consider lining...its not hard..its not a replacement for preparation, but it might take some of the hard work out of it

2. Yep...that should be fine

For this message the author Have Brush Will Travel has received gratitude : Mike5352
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:30 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like it's back to YouTube to learn more about lining paper!!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

Quick update. I've removed as much old paint as I can from the (concrete?) wall. Looks like in places it has removed the plaster and the bare wall is showing through.
Would the PVA be sufficient to seal the wall and then paint. Or will the wall need re-plastering?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:48 pm 

Do not use PVA, see: to-use-pva-in-paint-or-not-that-is-the-question-t18116.html

As far as plastering or not post some photos and people maybe able to advice you. It maybe possible to do it yourself but it all depends on how skilled you are or willing to become and how much time you've got.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:03 pm 

OchAye wrote:
Do not use PVA, see: to-use-pva-in-paint-or-not-that-is-the-question-t18116.html

As far as plastering or not post some photos and people maybe able to advice you. It maybe possible to do it yourself but it all depends on how skilled you are or willing to become and how much time you've got.

I agree with you Ochaye but it's a mixed view apparently....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PTMnb3IV44k

(The PVA thing)

For this message the author Desmondo15 has received gratitude : OchAye
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:29 pm 

Thank you for the link Desmondo.

I can understand using it in the actual crack(s) before he used the foam. A cheap stabiliser of the cracks for the foam to get a hold. Fair enough for that use of the PVA (whether foam is a good solution for that kind of crack I do not have a clue, but I would be apprehensive to use a solid filler over a flexible material underneath it). However, he also used PVA as a mist coat where he had the bare - unpainted - skimmed plaster, and then he was going to use it over all the walls??? because he had too many filled areas or something like that. Using PVA as a mist coat is the bit that is not agreed to by the professionals here (my chances of doing it to find out what happens are zero).

Back to the original poster. Plaster that has come off here and there is repairable, cracks are fixable, but it comes down to skill and time to make a room good using filler. Some of these things would have to be put right even if lining paper was used, and as I have no clue about lining paper I cannot add any more.

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : Desmondo15