DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi I'm fitting laminate in a hallway and need some help with what to do about where the carpets from other rooms come into the hallway. I know you can get threshold bars that can go with carpet and laminate but that would mean taking up the existing threshold bars which I don't really want to do as I don't know how and I think it might make the carpet go slack and I won't be able to get it back is there an alternative?

From the hall I was going to go into the kitchen with the laminate I wasn't gong to have a threshold bar at this doorway would this be a problem? See photo 5067

Have you got any tips that might help?

This is the laminate I have gone for http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Rockland-Hickory-Laminate-Flooring/p/138658

Thank you

Attachments:
IMG_5067.jpg
IMG_5067.jpg [ 295.57 KiB | Viewed 726 times ]
IMG_5065.jpg
IMG_5065.jpg [ 241.62 KiB | Viewed 726 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:46 am 

markmh wrote:
Hi I'm fitting laminate in a hallway and need some help with what to do about where the carpets from other rooms come into the hallway. I know you can get threshold bars that can go with carpet and laminate but that would mean taking up the existing threshold bars which I don't really want to do as I don't know how and I think it might make the carpet go slack and I won't be able to get it back is there an alternative?

From the hall I was going to go into the kitchen with the laminate I wasn't gong to have a threshold bar at this doorway would this be a problem? See photo 5067

Have you got any tips that might help?

This is the laminate I have gone for http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Rockland ... g/p/138658

Thank you
You'll need to fit a new threshold bar as the height of the laminate will differ from the old floor. It isn't difficult at all to change them. If you're confident enough to tackle the laminate then the threshold bar should be no problem. Any other way would imo be a bodge.

Re the kitchen door way, which way is the laminate running. It would be easier if it was length ways through the door and in a hallway it would look better running from the front door rather than sideways across the hall. Doorways are always tricky due to the intricate cuts and the fact that the laminate has to be clicked down in place. I would undercut the door frames for a neater finish too.

Lots to think about for you there. How are you finishing it at the skirting? Beading or skirting off?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:56 pm 

hello Mark, have a look at the quickstep website, there are some good videos on how to fit laminate their laminate flooring, its all just a variation on a theme anyway.

also have a look at this thread floor-raise-with-laminate-t90957.html on this very site - there are a couple of links to Howdens thresholds i posted for someone earlier in the week - they will give you some ideas and options (im not affiliate to quickstep or howdens but I like to use the web for ideas and help if needed and its easier than describing things)

all i'd say in addition is do your research, plan it well, take your time and be confident

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

its going to be beading. ive added a photo of the direction of the boards, the bit i wasnt sure about was the bit of hall by the front door. what i have read says lay the floor towards the light source but in this case it would look a bit strange as the rest of the hall is going to go in the opposite direction.

with the kitchen i was going to keep laying the floor in the sam direction as the hall which is why i wasnt sure if i needed a threashhold in place

thank you for your help

on the photo the direction of the arrows is the direction i was thinking of laying the floor. btw its a bungalow if that makes a difference.

Attachments:
IMG_5074.JPG
IMG_5074.JPG [ 41.5 KiB | Viewed 678 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:41 pm 

markmh wrote:
its going to be beading. ive added a photo of the direction of the boards, the bit i wasnt sure about was the bit of hall by the front door. what i have read says lay the floor towards the light source but in this case it would look a bit strange as the rest of the hall is going to go in the opposite direction.

with the kitchen i was going to keep laying the floor in the sam direction as the hall which is why i wasnt sure if i needed a threashhold in place

thank you for your help

on the photo the direction of the arrows is the direction i was thinking of laying the floor. btw its a bungalow if that makes a difference.
I'd agree with direction you've drawn given the layout. You would normally go away from light source but in your layout this would make the install tricky along the hallway.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk