DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 am 
Newly registered Member

I have a uPVC window and the on the inside, on the two vertical edges, the filler between the window frame and the window return has cracked and is starting to fall out. I was surprised to see that the filler was actually plaster - the rest of the return is faced with plasterboard. Whatever, I now have to fill the gaps and make good. The gaps are about 6-8mm wide and the plaster filler went in about half an inch. There's a bit of a void behind so I don't think I can just apply filler because there's nothing to back it. I've ordered some 10mm joint backing foam rod to stuff in there so that I've got something to fill against. So my question is what kind of filler should I use? I assume the original has cracked due to expansion/contraction of the window frame, which is why I was surprised to see something as unforgiving as plaster in there. I guess ideally I want something that'll give a bit but which can be applied 6-8mm wide and "smoothed" or rubbed down flush with the return, and it'll need to be paintable as well to match the return. Any offers?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 am 

Gyproc easifill will do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:33 am 
Newly registered Member

steviejoiner74 wrote:
Gyproc easifill will do the job.

Would it be flexible though? My main concern is that this window faces south so gets a lot of sun in summer. I think it's the temperature changes that's made the existing filler crack.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:05 pm 

What about some UPVC trim see https://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Categor ... ndow-Trims stick it on with silicone and do not attach the window side edge so it allows for movement.

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

dewaltdisney wrote:
What about some UPVC trim see https://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Categor ... ndow-Trims stick it on with silicone and do not attach the window side edge so it allows for movement.

DWD

Hmmmm. Interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:00 pm 

Easifill will be fine. A nice need bead of good quality caulk around the frame prior to repainting the reveals is advisable too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm 
Newly registered Member

steviejoiner74 wrote:
Easifill will be fine. A nice need bead of good quality caulk around the frame prior to repainting the reveals is advisable too.

OK. It's interesting you mention caulk afterwards. I presume you mean you would fill the void flush with Easifill and the caulk would be just to give a tidy finish around the window joints rather than filling any void (so just a thin bead). Just want to be clear because I read somewhere else that someone had used caulk to fill the void and finished off with Polycell Flexible Gap Polyfilla http://www.polycell.co.uk/product/polyc ... polyfilla/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:03 pm 

Yeah the caulk is just around window frame.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:01 pm 
Newly registered Member

I recently filled three of the windows in my house as there was wind creeping in.

I first went around the window with screwfix builders silicone.

I bought a 40mm trim from selco and dressed all around the window and finished it with silicon also.

If you use masking tape and do a neat job of the silicone then you don't need the trim.

The silicone I bought is recommended for Windows as it has low modulus, and adheres better. Bathroom stuff is no good.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 pm 
Newly registered Member

Lovely job!

If my windows were white I'd probably use some trim as well. But mine are dark brown, and I think extra dark brown trim on the reveals would be a bit overpowering. My gap is about 6-8mm so needs more than a thin bead of filler and it'll need painting. So whatever I use, it needs to be paintable and ideally at least a little flexible. I notice that the No Nonsense one you used isn't paintable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

mrsparks wrote:
Lovely job!

If my windows were white I'd probably use some trim as well. But mine are dark brown, and I think extra dark brown trim on the reveals would be a bit overpowering. My gap is about 6-8mm so needs more than a thin bead of filler and it'll need painting. So whatever I use, it needs to be paintable and ideally at least a little flexible. I notice that the No Nonsense one you used isn't paintable.
Aha.. brown maybe an issue. Thanks for the compliment to my handy work ;)

Sounds like you need a more conventional filler. If you want to do the job well and do it once use the stuff I have pictured. It is flexible, can be used inside and out and has fibre strands in it so super strong. Toupret is a great brand. You can buy the one pictured or a tub. You can sand it and paint over it ;)Image

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for that. I'd honestly never heard of Toupret but it's definitely an option now. More expensive - but I have no problem paying a little extra if it's quality stuff. Looking at reviews of fillers is a bit like going on tripadvisor looking at hotels and restaurants - nightmare.

For this message the author mrsparks has received gratitude : danny4g