DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Filler showing edges
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:26 am 
Newly registered Member

Good morning everyone,

I am filling holes in the wall and have used filler to do this. I have sanded this down so that it is flat to the wall but the edges are still showing, is there a specific way of getting rid of this?

Also when painting over this so that it is not obvious there is filler there what is the best way to do this? watering down the paint I have and putting this over the spots of filler or using a product like Zinsser?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Filler showing edges
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:52 pm 
Elephant Man

:welcomeuhm:

Some fillers are better for fine indentations. Toupret Fine Surface or Toupret Redlite are both excellent.

You shouldn't have to fill twice, but it often doesn't hurt, even with these products. Also, when you sand flush, try to 'feather' the edge of the repair to blend it to the surrounding surface.

Always best to touch-up with a mini-roller, as a brush won't recreate the texture of the original application, and will consequently stand out more. You may have to do an entire wall, from corner to corner for best results. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi thank you for the reply so with feathering would I have needed to do this when I was applying the filler? I am going to decorate the whole room so would you suggest where the filler is on one wall to do this all whole wall in 20% watered down paint? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:58 pm 

What Dynamod said is to feather the edge of the filler (make it as thin as possible). Picking up his comment, if the previous coat of paint has a lot of orange peel effect when you fill anything you end up with a flat wall at that point and orange peel next to it, so it shows (if you have no orange peel sand the edges and ignore the rest of my comment).

Most fillers have to be primed with diluted paint (20% water added or so). After the filler has been primed and dried, you could use full thickness paint and a longish pile mini roller to go over the filled areas just intending to give them some orange peel effect ... at that point feather the edges you leave with the mini roller. Rollering with a well loaded roller will leave a wider orange peel, and as you you use the paint if you go over the surface again you will produce a finer orange peel. Or just take your glasses off (if you wear them) like I do.

No need to go over all the wall with diluted paint but you must not create solid lines where your patches finish.

I am sure the professionals here would have a much quicker way of doing the patches of filler to give them orange peel (eg. prime as normal and when they apply coat #1 roller more over the patched areas).

If you are not confused enough I will post some more :lol: :lol:

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks fpr the advice, very useful :D