DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'm going to buy a Festool sander & extractor so I can clean-up my walls, skirting, architrave, etc. without covering the rest of the house in an inch of dust.

As a DIYer can someone please suggest the most suitable sanding tool (or maybe tools), I'm not adverse to buying a couple if they are going to be really useful. But with them having round, square, delta (and all in different sizes), I don't know which are the best option?

Also which is the best extractor to go for? The Festool catalogue has so many options I've gone dizzy. I think the CTM26 looks OK, but advice from a professional would be really appreciated, thanks in advance.

The cost is secondary to the kit being the best for the job.

P.S. I was working in Germany for the last couple of weeks in a small town near Darmstadt. I walked past a local tool shop every morning which had every type of Festool sander AND extractor in stock (and every tool Matika sells as well as plenty of others). It was a privately owned shop, not very big, but really well stocked, why don't we have any shops like this in the UK any more?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:51 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Strangely you'll get better advice in the Painting & decorating forum, many of the decorators rarely look outside of P&D.

I'll move the thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:09 pm 
Elephant Man

You mean there's life outside P&D?? :?

I'm a big fan of the Mirka dustless system, and have had the Ceros and its attendant kit now for around 5 years. Festool is very good, but tends to be a bit pricey for its own good IMHO.

The only issue with the Mirka system I've found, is the weight of the 905 extractor, and EVERY LITTLE THING seems to be an extra. That aside, it performs superbly on walls and ceilings. Woodwork can be done with the hand sanding attachments and hose adapters.

I suspect fitzy will be along soon, as he has the newer Deros. There were a lot of issues with the Deros dying early on, but I suspect they've gotten hold of that one, as all I read these days are positive comments on it.

For this message the author dynamod has received gratitude : fitzy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:43 pm 

dynamod wrote:
You mean there's life outside P&D?? :?

I'm a big fan of the Mirka dustless system, and have had the Ceros and its attendant kit now for around 5 years. Festool is very good, but tends to be a bit pricey for its own good IMHO.

The only issue with the Mirka system I've found, is the weight of the 905 extractor, and EVERY LITTLE THING seems to be an extra. That aside, it performs superbly on walls and ceilings. Woodwork can be done with the hand sanding attachments and hose adapters.

I suspect fitzy will be along soon, as he has the newer Deros. There were a lot of issues with the Deros dying early on, but I suspect they've gotten hold of that one, as all I read these days are positive comments on it.
Yup, I've just had my Deros system 12 months and it's never missed a beat

From my point of view as a decorator I don't know how I managed without it. Apart from the obvious dustless aspect, it makes short work of jobs as well as doing a far better job than you could by hand.

Mine cost over £700 and I believe the Festool systems are even more expensive so the thing to consider as a diyer is will you get your moneys worth or will it be used a few times then chucked in the garage.

Indasa also do a dustless system, but I don't know how they compare.

https://paintshack.co.uk/collections/in ... ng-systems

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

For this message the author fitzy has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:12 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the responses guys, but which sanding head (or heads) will give me the best value, (delta, round, rectangular - and large or small size)?

If it means I can get a pro. decorator to come and put some lining paper and paint on my walls and woodwork, it will be worth the money. I'm not trying to do any of you pro guys down, but so far the response from the trade to my project has been pathetic, (everyone must want to work on modern "clean" stuff). I'm have no problem paying day rate, but the last guy charging £400 a day + materials (for two blokes) has suddenly filled his diary until next summer, (but all he did was boast about how many footballers houses he had worked on)! My dosh is obviously not worth as much as some fancy footie player.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:21 pm 
Elephant Man

The 150mm circular orbital head is best for walls and ceilings, and 77mm palm sander works well on woodwork. I'm not a fan of delta heads personally, much preferring a rectangular hand sander (dustless available) to get into corners.

It's the middle of the busiest time for the trade just now, so maybe you have encountered guys who are over-charging. £200/day is very high for decorators. Expect to pay around £120-£150 for decent tradesmen. Watch out for the bull$h1tters in this game though. There's no shortage sadly.

For this message the author dynamod has received gratitude : fitzy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:32 pm 

tt62 wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys, but which sanding head (or heads) will give me the best value, (delta, round, rectangular - and large or small size)?

If it means I can get a pro. decorator to come and put some lining paper and paint on my walls and woodwork, it will be worth the money. I'm not trying to do any of you pro guys down, but so far the response from the trade to my project has been pathetic, (everyone must want to work on modern "clean" stuff). I'm have no problem paying day rate, but the last guy charging £400 a day + materials (for two blokes) has suddenly filled his diary until next summer, (but all he did was boast about how many footballers houses he had worked on)! My dosh is obviously not worth as much as some fancy footie player.
Always be wary of paying a day rate.

Most jobs can be priced quite accurately, or at least estimated and then any unforseen stuff can be done as an extra.

As Dyna says, the biggest part of the sanding is done with the 150 on ceilings and wall areas. 125 on woodwork. What getting into the corners manually isn't a massive addition to your time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:30 am 
Elephant Man

fitzy wrote:
Always be wary of paying a day rate.

Most jobs can be priced quite accurately, or at least estimated and then any unforseen stuff can be done as an extra.

Exactly. :thumbright:

Day rate is fine if you trust, and I mean trust the people doing the work. Otherwise, day rate can just as easily translate to a blank cheque. Best to get a written, detailed, signed quote with the proviso for extras should they happen, to be discussed and estimated in a mutually agreeable manner. Any reputable firm will be quite happy to do this.

Also best to get a description of works to know where you stand on the specification of the job. I know all this sounds a bit cynical, but I've seen a lot of corners being cut over the years, and if you're paying for 2 coats and getting 1 ................ you get the drift. It's more common that you might think.

You don't need a list of rules and terms IMO, but a written quote is a good place to start from. :salute:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:03 am 

I have the Festool RTS 400 connected to the Festool midi extractor. It's small enough for sanding trim but also big enough to sand ceilings/walls. Cost me about £650. In fact, I've just finished a job where the plastering was awful (re-skimmed by a 'plasterer') There is no way in this world I could've tidied it all up without the Festool. Best thing I've ever bought.

For this message the author Deccy has received gratitude : fitzy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

Went for the Mirka Deros kit (both 150mm and 125mm disks included) with their extractor, £620 with VAT. I liked the aesthetic feel of the sander and the low-torque on-off switch

The bloke threw in the Mirka Handysander kit for nowt (worth about £30).

I'll report back when I've had chance to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:11 pm 

Here's another sander to chuck into the mix
https://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/ ... -case.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:46 pm 

sounds like a festool rts400 may be what your after, its what i use to do my skirting boards, and archs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 am 

RTS400 here too, along with a midi extractor. I had a RO90 which hardly got any use at all, so I sold it.
Given how highly thought of they are it would be worth selling on once you finish with it - this applies to any of the Festool and Mirka range.
They save time, clear up, your lungs and they do a better job than most can do without one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 pm 

A bit late as you have already got a system. not posted on here for a long time so not sure what the rules are now but if you search my profile name on youtube I did a video on all the different systems and where there best used.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:51 am 

Also another late to the thread but I got one of these Bosch dual pad ROS jobs a couple of years ago.

Very likely not as good as Mirka et al but another option?