DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Chaps,

Quick one, I built a gate at the weekend using Hook and Band Cracked hinges from toolstation, I decided to use M8 50mm Stainless steel coach screws to fix the hinge and the hook.

I used a socket ratchet to drive the coach screws, the hinge fitted to the gate without issues. When I came to screw the hook on to the post I got about 30mm into the post and then they just started to spin. This ended up making the holes too big meaning the coach screws have nothing to bite into and now work free. This happened on 5 of the 8 screw holes.

I'm going to go to screwfix this evening and pick up M8 60mm zinc plated coach screws to see if these are better than the stainless ones.

For the holes, I was thinking of packing them with splinters cut from a fence slat and fill with a good helping of wood glue. I'll leave that for a day to bond before trying with the new screws. Do you think this will work?

Cheers

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:20 pm 

ahfix wrote:

For the holes, I was thinking of packing them with splinters cut from a fence slat and fill with a good helping of wood glue. I'll leave that for a day to bond before trying with the new screws. Do you think this will work?

Cheers

It won't do any harm, although I'd try and whittle something down and fill it in with one piece, (and glue).

Did you drill a pilot hole for the coach screws? The exact size of the shank, or very very slightly smaller is best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

ayjay wrote:
ahfix wrote:

Cheers

It won't do any harm, although I'd try and whittle something down and fill it in with one piece, (and glue).

Did you drill a pilot hole for the coach screws? The exact size of the shank, or very very slightly smaller is best.

Hey ayjay

I have pine dowel rod somewhere, I could drip that in glue and hammer it in (it might be 10mm tho).

The hinge hook was above my head due to the height of the fence so I did drill a pilot hole for a couple using a 8mm bit bit only deep enough where the unthreaded part of the screw would end up. I did that just to align them and stop them falling when I started them off. This happened even when I started the screw without a pilot hole.

I am wondering if it's because I couldn't put enough pressure behind the screws as I drove them. When I did the gate it was laying on the lawn so I was easier to put weight on it.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:41 pm 

Dowel is not really a good idea, it's too uniform to get any grip on the rough parts of the hole and also you'll be screwing into endgrain. It's not necessary to completely fill the hole as the coach screw takes up quite a bit of space. For a pilot hole I'd drill the full depth with a drill the same size as the shank at the pointy end and open up the start of the hole (just for the depth of the unthreaded shank) with a larger size drill to match the shank at the head end.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : ahfix
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

ayjay wrote:
Dowel is not really a good idea, it's too uniform to get any grip on the rough parts of the hole and also you'll be screwing into endgrain.

I read this AFTER i did the job! ::b

Anyway, the screws seemed to bite well so I am hoping it's all good. In the future if they get loose then I can drill out the dowel and do as you suggested. I bought a socket driver set for the impact driver, much quicker than than ratchet.

Also the screwfix turbo coach screws (£3.99 for 50) seems to have better thread and bite vs the toolstation ones (£2.70 ish for 10).

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:51 pm 

ahfix wrote:
ayjay wrote:
Dowel is not really a good idea, it's too uniform to get any grip on the rough parts of the hole and also you'll be screwing into endgrain.

I read this AFTER i did the job! ::b

Cheers

It'll probably be OK, I just tend to go belt and braces, (it's served me well enough in the long term).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:38 am 

ahfix wrote:
Also the screwfix turbo coach screws (£3.99 for 50) seems to have better thread and bite vs the toolstation ones (£2.70 ish for 10).
And one is coated and the other is stainless, hence the price difference :-)