DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:14 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all. First Post
I have had a fuse blow out which knocked off a bedroom and bathroom light. The fault appeared to be an adjecent bedroom wire which was loose. The other bedroom has come back on but the halogen lights in the bathroom are still out. The problem I have is it's a lowered wooden ceiling. I've managed to get the individual halogen lights out to inspect but cannot see any issues. I've heard things about transformer blowing but I'm not sure how easy this is or should I just bit the bullet and get someone in to have a look.

Any ideas suggestions etc are welcome

Cheers

Kev

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:41 am 

Loose wires can cause arcing, but unless they touch something else, don't often blow fuses. I would guess the cause is the lights that are no longer working. But without being there its not possible to say, but we can try.

The lamps you have taken out, what does it say in them, or even a picture would help. How many lamps are not working?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:35 am 

Halogen lamps come as both 230 volt and 12 volt, with the latter can be supplied by a transformer or an electronic unit labelled as an electronic transformer.

The 230 volt MR16 halogen normally has a GU10 base and very little seems to go wrong with the supply.

The 12 volt MR16 halogen normally has a G5.3 base which seem to regularly go wrong, the little pins just don't seem man enough.

The transformer used with 12 volt often has fuses built in, when the filament ruptures it can cause ionisation (big flash) and the fuse will blow. But other wise they run for years and years.

The electronic transformer is very different, they tend to auto close down with a fault, however the capacitors inside them do fail and so they do need replacing from time to time.

Personally I don't like halogen tubes and bulbs, you can't dim them, OK you can, but should not dim them, they are very hot, that's how they work, and all mine have been replaced with LED, I was lucky I had a transformer not an electronic transformer so was straight swap.