DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:39 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Extractor fan wiring
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi

I'm having problems wiring an Xpelair C4R fan to my bathroom light. I've attached some pics. The terminal on the fan has only got L and N and on the light a spare L and N terminal, the cable is a 3 core and earth cable. I thought it would be a simple matter of attaching the N and permanent L (brown) to the corresponding terminals but it didn't work so I tried the timed L (black) instead, nothing. Basically I think I have tried all options but although the light works the fan does not. Also, the electrician fitted everything and left everything ready for when I bought the fan.

Can anyone help?

Attachment:
LIGHT.jpg
LIGHT.jpg [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 508 times ]

Attachment:
FAN.jpg
FAN.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 508 times ]

Thanks

Gafyn

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Extractor fan wiring
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

I mean't to say 'switched' not 'timed' live.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:08 pm 

The picture of the switch, are there 3 cables in there? (that's cables not cores)

If so, from the looks of it the brown closest to the bottom of the picture should go in with the brown on the "top right" of the switch.

I am not saying this is 100% correct, since its up to who wired it how they did it.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:36 pm 
Approved Electrician

someone-else wrote:
The picture of the switch, are there 3 cables in there? (that's cables not cores)

If so, from the looks of it the brown closest to the bottom of the picture should go in with the brown on the "top right" of the switch.

I am not saying this is 100% correct, since its up to who wired it how they did it.

Logically that makes sense as that looks like the COM terminal of a two way switch and if this is connected to the switched live for the lights then the fan would not work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:51 am 
BANNED

Can you not get electrician back to resolve to be honest wiring in light switch is a mess

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 pm 

I am looking at light switch and wondering what is going on, the switch has three terminals, so I would guess it's a two way switch, and all terminals seem to be in use, unless the idea is to switch fan on when the light is off then you should only be using two terminals.

Can't see the fan very well if it has a timer and you don't want the timer then bridge both terminals together. I am not sure if you are switching with lights or not.

The rules on needing a fan are all hinged around the windows, with an opening window no need for fan so you can wire it as you like. With no windows the fan can be controlled just with the lights, however with non opening windows you need some way to turn on the fan without turning on lights. You also need a run on timer or have it running 24/7.

So there are a few methods, one popular method is to use a double pole switch so the same switch will start fan and switch on lights, but they are electrical independent this allows for another switch in parallel with the fan switch, which likely would be a pneumatic switch so it has run on, there is nothing in the rules to say you need to switch on the fan with lights, that is an extra, so the pneumatic switch for fills the over run requirements needed by law, the light switch is an addition to ensure when some one uses the room at night the fan is used.

So my guess is you have selected wrong pull switch, you need a double pole pull switch and you have a two way pull switch, do be careful an intermediate switch also has 4 terminals, you don't what one of these, you want a double pole switch.

I don't know what windows you have so I can only guess.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : multiman