DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:20 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:11 pm 

On my property i have those old red tiles used as an external window sill. Had some replacement windows fitted and some of these have broke at the top closest to the window. Window guy has filled the gap with some foam and suggested i put some sand and cement in there and level off then repaint the sill.

Would you recommend sand & cement as this takes the water when it rains as its a sill.

Any suggestions as it would be a nightmare to rip them all out.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:29 pm 

Surely the builder who fitted the windows is responsible for replacing the tiles? :scratch:

If you do want to do it yourself, hunt down some replacement tiles at a salvage yard and fit them on mortar.

Get rid of the expanding foam. It's not big, it's not clever and it's certainly not funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:49 pm 

Tiles were already broken, but due to paint covering them and the way the old window was fitted there was no way of knowing until the old window was removed.

Hes put foam under it so to stop draughts getting in while i sort something out. This is not the builders fault it was a suggestion he made.

Just had another look, even if i ripped the top layer off and replaced them the 2 end ones are half slotted into the brickwork which has then been rendered.

There must be a solution as its even hard work finding these tiles i looked before on another window.

Window fitter by the way not builder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:55 pm 

typical window fitter :? this is why theres no money in the game working for companies.. they employ monkeys for surveyors... the trade now has a bad name due to work like this and everyones trying to be cheaper than every one else..
theres decent firms out there but it really does pay to see some of their work beforehand..

its called a tile crease, usually made from rosemary tiles and usually run right round the extenal of the house, but not always.. sometimes the 'crease' is just a tiled cill..
best solution would have been to chop the lot out and fit a 150 upvc cill and point the underside but if youre in a conservation area you may have to keep the tiles.. anyway, surveyor should have picked it up and offered you the choice instead of just specifying a 'no cill face drain' window on a cracked tile cill... and they should have replaced the tiles if they broke or disturbed any... talk about 1/2 a job :roll:
pointing em back up with mortar will do i suppose if its a cheap job and theyre all knackered but i'd use a powdered dye in the mortar if theyre red tiles..
if not, just rake out the foam, point it back up, thank the window company for their expert advice and paint it after a week or two..

p.s. the fitter very probably chopped the back edge of the tiles off leaving a void in which water can gather if the window was a bit tight in the height.. make sure its properly sealed along the bottom edge with a low modulus silicon..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:06 am 

I have decided to chop the top row off and replace them. As its the style of house and i have added some elsewhere.

Having trouble finding replacements at the moment as the major company here stocks a different one and i need to find the same.

I ordered the windows and i specified no cill face drain as you couldn't see any damage until the window was removed. Not this installers fault probably previous installer.

Installer won't be responsible for replacing any damaged tiles as hes here to install not make good previous work, he was just foaming it up to try and help as a temporary measure.

This is just one of them problems with an older house type things. Just got to find the right tiles now. They are red with grooves cut down the back incase anybody knows the exact name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:32 am 

To be honest i would either remove the cills totally or totally replace the cill as a repair is going to be tricky (trying to clean the existing tiles of mortar without breaking anymore is difficult) rebuilding a new cill or carrying out a delicate repair will probably take about the same time plus materials cost is pretty minimal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:19 pm 

I would say that rebuilding the whole cill will be a lot easier that just the top half. If you fix a piece of batten at the correct height to take the bottom course it's much easier to build it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

OK it is a long time since this thread had anything on it. I like others, visited this page trying to find an answer. My local builders mechants could not help me find any tiles, nor various builders, nor any building reclamation businesses. Everyone kept on saying they were a type of quarry tile and trying to tell me I had to rip out the whole lot and start again and whilst I was at it I needed a new windown and while I was at it the new window would not match theother one and so........

After years of searching for a tile to replace the single one broken on my lounge window I have found them.
165 x 265 with a 3 mm camber they are CLAY CREASING TILES

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Roofing/Clay-Tiles/Creasing-tiles.aspx

So I am posting this up here for anyone who like I did came here when searching.

Loving the answers ! Living up to reputations...."first suck air through teeth and then .............."