DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:40 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:00 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Hopefully one of you cable experts can help me.

I'm thinking about extending the shed that is built onto the back of my garage to use as an office. I want to be able to use broadband in there but wireless won't reach that far. I could try setting up a wireless repeater but it's not always that reliable.

There's a few feet between the back of the house and the garage, so running a cable won't be easy, but two options I'm considering then:

1. Run an ethernet cable from my router out to the back. The problem here is that the electric goes through a conduit (is that the right word) underground. I think threading a cable through with the electric is going to be impossible.

2. Use the ethernet plugs that use your electricity wiring to transmit the signal. Not sure how well this would work, as I think the garage electricity runs through a different circuit (?) as it has a seperate fuse-box.

Any ideas?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:21 pm 

£95 for a very novel solution, you can see the RJ45 connects on the bottom, presume they just plug into mains sockets.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/834717

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:57 pm 

What's the total run length (not straight line distance) and what speed do you want to push the link too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:30 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Jason

They're the ones I was talking about in my option 2 above. But will they work with extended wiring? Forgive my total ignorance on electricity thingies.

Slugster

I reckon it would be a run of 10-15 metres. I have 2mb which suits me as I don't really do any big downloading.

Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:41 pm 

Richie,

If your outside distribution unit is fed from the same one your broadband is connected to I would say these units would almost definitely work.

How many electricity meters do you have?

As for the distance CAT5 which is the entry level UTP runs 100mbps to 100mtrs (somebody will tell me the actual spec is 95m to allow for termination loss). I've ran it to 135m with no problems.

10 to 15 mtrs is not a lot for wireless - have you considered a directional transmitter / receiver. These can increase the range massively.

Sorry to possibly teach you to suck eggs, but you will setup WEP and MAC ACLS to protect your network if you go wireless won't you :wink:

I wish you had asked this a few months back. We threw a micro wave line of sight bridge in a skip. That would have done you OK apart from the slight tingling you get when you want in front of it :shock: :lol:

I still think wireless is a good option (I wouldn't use it but I'm a tin foil hat wearing loony).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:46 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

I already have wireless, with security, but it hardly extends to the conservatory, let alone beyond the garage.

I think the cat5 option will be too difficult if I want to keep it hidden.

We only have 1 meter so maybe the electricity plugs are the way to go. Just a bit expensive to be lumbered with if they don't work, although I can always convince a customer to try them :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:11 pm 

Quote:
I already have wireless, with security, but it hardly extends to the conservatory, let alone beyond the garage.

You've either got a very big conservatory or a sh*t router :wink: What have you got? I've a Linksys and I can sit out in the garden of a sunny day and 'work', some 40 or so yards away from the router (WiFi).

Do you have anything interfering with your signal? Is is worth changing channels (I may be telling you how to suck eggs, sorry :oops:)

BTW. The next generation of WiFi is supposed to vastly extend the range of WiFi but the bodies can't agree on the standards ::b Its still supposed to be available quite soon:wink: Maybe worth researching where its up to rather than going thru the expense of hard wiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:20 pm 

I'm with Skiking on this.

Don't give up on the wireless yet. Most times I've found it's range to be at least 30 mtrs.

Try moving the router. Windows are better than brick for signal pass.

Have you got the foil backed plasterboard anywhere?

Also look into directional wireless antennas. Right now your signal energy goes everywhere and is weakened. Concentrate the signal into a fairly narrow beam and you will break a 100mtrs.

For the chance of saving £100, I'd arse about with your current wireless rig first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:04 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Cheers for the suggestions.

I'll have a fiddle around when I get the chance. And I'll try to sort my wireless as well

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:49 am 
Communications Expert

I would try a Linksys WAP - by far the best wireless kit I have seen.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]