DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

Dear forum users

I hope someone may be able to enlighten me on whether Northern Power Networks will be able to fix this issue for free (I hope :help: ) or of the order of the costs involved ( :cb ).

Attached is a photo of the electric supply for our newly purchased terrace house (built circa 1900). The photo is of a timbre box in the rear yard containing the incoming supply (padlocked but not particularly watertight), which then runs along the yard wall at about 1.5 metres high in a metal casing and enters the rear of the house about 20 cm from the floor.

To me it looks Heath Robinson and unsafe. But is it? And who's responsible?

My question is should it be upgraded and if so who would pay? Any ideas on ball park costs? (The house needs a complete re-wire, but that's budgeted for :-) )

Thanks so much!
P

Attachments:
elec bath terr 2.png
elec bath terr 2.png [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 359 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:09 pm 

For the definitive answer (How much, will they wont they etc) best ask Northern Power Networks
If any one says its free and they say it isnt....... but they should tell you if its free or not. You could tell them you think the supply fuse is not big enough

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : phil555ip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:13 pm 

Hmmm look at that, like a work of art, got it all, proper tree wood , cast iron. ceramic insulation
It's what won the war, that is. :mrgreen:

I would assume that the power distributor network operator is responsible up to the meter.
Maybe get an electrical inspection and check earth loop impedance, looks TN-S, earth cable maybe
looks a little worse than it actually is, that'd be my best advice
but I'm not an expert on such things.

For this message the author jaeger has received gratitude : phil555ip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:30 am 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
For the definitive answer (How much, will they wont they etc) best ask Northern Power Networks
If any one says its free and they say it isnt....... but they should tell you if its free or not. You could tell them you think the supply fuse is not big enough

Thanks for that. The thing is we haven't moved in yet so I can't get a definitive answer... just wondered if anyone had seen similar.

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:37 am 
Newly registered Member

jaeger wrote:
Hmmm look at that, like a work of art, got it all, proper tree wood , cast iron. ceramic insulation

I would assume that the power distributor network operator is responsible up to the meter.
Maybe get an electrical inspection and check earth loop impedance, looks TN-S, earth cable maybe

Thanks. Any ideas what era this stuff is??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:38 am 

phil555ip wrote:
jaeger wrote:

Can't say definitively, but I grew up in the 50's and it looks like wiring I recall seeing
so I'd say 40's or earlier.
Certainly looks like it'll out last the moden meter box I have, the chipboard is already flaking
and the hole for the ground cable to enter looks like it was smashed through with a hammer.
I bet the workman that did that wore a tie and flat cap, probably had a pipe in his mouth too :salute:

For this message the author jaeger has received gratitude : phil555ip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:08 am 

It is the DNS responsibility to ensure that it's SAFE. Contact them with the word 'safety issue' in any conversation and they'll be around like a flash (of exploding electrical wires)!

I suggest that they will attend to declare its worthiness free of charge and that if they declare it as dangerous in any way they will be obliged to fix it.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : phil555ip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:33 am 

Agree with what jaeger and k-e have said above.
At a guess it's a sort of relic of a past arrangement. From the dark patch on the wood above, it looks like the meter used to be in there.
Looks like there's a seal, or the remains of one on the cast iron box for the live terminal marked "Callender"
The plastic taped cable going out is much later. Probably post 1960s, and probably much more recent. I'll have a guess that's old lead sheathed or similar coming in from underground, and whoever reconnected it didn't want to disturb the termination.
"Callender" is most likely "Callender Cables" which is now part of BICC. (British Industrial Callender Cables)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_I ... 27s_Cables
So according to that the boxes are most likely pre 1945.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : phil555ip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:44 pm 
Newly registered Member

Dave54 wrote:
At a guess it's a sort of relic of a past arrangement. From the dark patch on the wood above, it looks like the meter used to be in there.
Looks like there's a seal, or the remains of one on the cast iron box for the live terminal marked "Callender"
The plastic taped cable going out is much later. Probably post 1960s, and probably much more recent. I'll have a guess that's old lead sheathed or similar coming in from underground, and whoever reconnected it didn't want to disturb the termination.
"Callender" is most likely "Callender Cables" which is now part of BICC. (British Industrial Callender Cables)

Amazing information. Thanks everyone, I think I can rest easy that this isn't going to cost us - I did phone the network people but until I actually exchange they won't look at it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:45 pm 
Newly registered Member

jaeger wrote:
phil555ip wrote:
jaeger wrote:

Can't say definitively, but I grew up in the 50's and it looks like wiring I recall seeing
so I'd say 40's or earlier.
Certainly looks like it'll out last the moden meter box I have, the chipboard is already flaking
and the hole for the ground cable to enter looks like it was smashed through with a hammer.
I bet the workman that did that wore a tie and flat cap, probably had a pipe in his mouth too :salute:

lol, I bet he did too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:12 pm 

Dave54 wrote:

Just looking at that article I linked to, and it British Insulated Callender's Cables, not "Industrial" like I said from memory.