DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:32 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:52 pm 
Pro Carpenter

brilliant glue works really well but it clogs up the nozzle so frustrating :lol:
found a easy solution almost by accident :huray:
i knocked the bottle over a few weeks ago knocked out the bit in the center that seals it shut
now being a tart i keep old tops so i can put a new top on and clear out the dry gunk at lesure so just replace the cap with a clean one
roll on several days off pushing the bottle so hard i must have turned blue red and green it suddenly dawned on me after using a screw to remove hardening glue from the cap ever 5 mins getting caught around the star in the nozzle USE THE BROKEN ONE :huray:
works a treat dosnt clog up now and any clotting glue can be easily removed from the work piece if a problem :huray:
so now the closing bit on nozzle stays closed and the glue flows freely and an offcut from another is used to close the hole from the top :huray:
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p61864?searchstr=d4

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 am 
Newly registered Member

This isn't directly linked to your topic but it is connected. Which is better gortillas glue or wood glue?
I found wood glue expanded and seeps out the joint too much

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:21 am 
Pro Carpenter

you only need a bead about 1mm round to cover a 20mm wide timber if well clamped
hence the subject off frustration as any more just just gets pushed out and needs cleaning and can stick the glue blocks and batons to the work causing further scraping and cleaning
you may need a slightly bigger bead off 2mm iff say ply back panels are pinned on or ply basses are weighed down
have never used gorilla glue as its overpriced for what it is in my opinion :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:19 pm 

The D4 is far superior to Gorilla Glue in many ways. Firstly D4 squeeze out can be wiped off with a dap rag - PU glues can't be wiped off without the risk of filling the grain (especially on open pore timbers like oak). D4 doesn't swell as it cures, unlike Gorilla, so it means less squeeze-out and it only needs to be clamped for 15 to 20 minutes as a minimum whilst Gorilla needs to be firmly clamped all the tie it is curing or it will blow the joints open. D4 also makes,a stronger joint in my experience. So why use Gorilla? Well, I don't - if I need a PU glue (because they set faster in some circumstances) I get a bottle of Lumberjack PU which is far cheaper.

And like BA I just cut the "pin" in the middle of the nozzle off - life's too short......

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:14 pm 

Job and Knock wrote:

- life's too short......

It's definitely too short to wait for slow glue.

For PVA glue, I used an empty chalk line refill bottle for a long time, as long as you closed the cap immediately after use it kept the hole free. It was a working version of the nozzles on Resin W which always clog up after a couple of days no matter how well you treat them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:55 pm 

Likewise I cut the plastic bit out. I used to bung a plastic peg from a kid's game in the hole. Tied on with a bit of string!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:30 pm 

As an aside I think there is a bit confusion on the forum sometimes regarding what d4 glue is.
I think many assume it's always a foaming glue (polyurethane)when the d is actually for durability. It can be white non foaming as well.
D4 = For Internal areas with frequent long-term exposure to running or condensed water and exterior areas exposed to weather.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:54 pm 

i use d4 for worktop joints. does the job spot on.

though ive always thought it was fecking hard to squeeze it out the bottle. ive got a nearly empty one and a new one. that hasnt spilled in ma van yet,.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
As an aside I think there is a bit confusion on the forum sometimes regarding what d4 glue is.
I think many assume it's always a foaming glue (polyurethane).......

It's possibly because many non-trades persons would only ever come across D4 in the form of PU glue - the original "D4" -type glues such a Cascomite are rrely ever known about by DIYers and whilst D4 PVA has been around for a few years the people making it don't make the song and dance about it that Gorilla do about their grossly-overpriced PU glues. In fact I can't recall ever seeing another wood glue advertised on TV - maybe because most are relatively low-cost starch-derived products which don't have massive mark-ups to cover advertising campaigns included in the price......

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!