Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:05 am 
Newly registered Member

I would like to install a collection of ethernet cables throughout my house and want to check the basic principles before carrying out the work.

I'll list the steps I think are involved, and if any one would like to comment on them I'd appreciate it.

• cut wall for socket boxes
  • chase wall for cabling conduit
  • roll-back carpet for floorboard access
  • cut floorboard for cable installation access
  • drilling joints for cable routing
  • install ethernet patch panel
  • terminate cabling and install socket covers
  • tidy up decorating

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:27 am 

....or - avoid all that by using a decent wi-fi system.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:45 am 
Newly registered Member

kellys_eye wrote:

I use a decent WiFi system already, this is to cover devices that do not have WiFi capabilities. Of course, I could then consider installing tiny APs as a wireless bridge to each non-WiFi device.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:54 am 

If I were totally renovating a house then I would add cabling, but given modern technology it's really not worth doing otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:58 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:

The thing is KE there's no such thing really and all broadband providers do not guarantee speeds based on WI-FI.

I had my Amazon Firebox about 6' away from the router with an unobstructed view and I was only getting around 20mb. I connected to Ethernet and got 104mb :thumbright:

The guy at VM said WI-Fi can be affected by various things including if your washing machine is running. I'm no expert on these things but I try and connect via ethernet where I can.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:34 pm 

Argyll wrote:
I had my Amazon Firebox about 6' away from the router with an unobstructed view and I was only getting around 20mb. I connected to Ethernet and got 104mb :thumbright:

To what purpose?

We have two Fireboxes on our home network (wi-fi) and get 4Mb BB download speeds at best and never have an issue with content. It could be 500Gb and it wouldn't make the service any 'better'. ISTR you only need 2Mb connection to get everything they can deliver..... anything over that is effectively 'wasted'.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:38 am 

kellys_eye wrote:
Argyll wrote:

To what purpose?

We have two Fireboxes on our home network (wi-fi) and get 4Mb BB download speeds at best and never have an issue with content. It could be 500Gb and it wouldn't make the service any 'better'. ISTR you only need 2Mb connection to get everything they can deliver..... anything over that is effectively 'wasted'.

I have Iview HD installed and they said I only required 6mb to play live streams which proved to be untrue as I had around 20mb and experienced loads of buffering. When I connected to ethernet at 100mb the problem disappeared.

I guess it would be okay watching prime and netflix etc but not IPTV.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:41 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for all the responses. With a good decade of IT under my belt I have reasonably experience with setting up IT equipment.

I would like to bring the conversation back to the OP though, and know if I outlined the correct procedure?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:12 pm 

n1md4 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. With a good decade of IT under my belt I have reasonably experience with setting up IT equipment.

I would like to bring the conversation back to the OP though, and know if I outlined the correct procedure?

As per your first post, that's about it - its all common sense you may need a fishing tape/rod to pull the cable

you don't really need a patch panel in a domestic install tbh, leave plenty of slack and put a service loop for each cable behind the patch (this allows you to access the install in the event of expansion or troubleshooting if you think you want 1 outlet pull in 2 cables to that back box it allows for expansion without the need to pull in new cables in the future

what cable spec are you going for ? 5e/6/6a or cat 7 - don't use cheap face plates either I tend to use Tyton Hellermann, I have use these guys for many years (too many to admit too) https://bownetcms.co.uk/

I Must of installed 10's of 1000's of meters of cable over the years, don't over think it

For this message the author Bob225 has received gratitude : n1md4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

Bob225 wrote:
you don't really need a patch panel in a domestic install tbh, leave plenty of slack and put a service loop for each cable behind the patch (this allows you to access the install in the event of expansion or troubleshooting if you think you want 1 outlet pull in 2 cables to that back box it allows for expansion without the need to pull in new cables in the future

I appreciate the panel is overkill, I just like the flexibility it offers. Thanks for the service loop tip too.

Bob225 wrote:
what cable spec are you going for ? 5e/6/6a or cat 7 - don't use cheap face plates either I tend to use Tyton Hellermann, I have use these guys for many years (too many to admit too) https://bownetcms.co.uk/

I have a reel of 5e... What would you recommend for around 6M cable runs? Again, thanks for the materials tip.

Bob225 wrote:
I Must of installed 10's of 1000's of meters of cable over the years, don't over think it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:39 pm 

well I can talk as I have a 19" rack - 6m is nothing to worry about, 5e will do gigabit with 120-140 mb/s transfers may be a bit more if in full duplex

A older pic of my home cabinet - I have moved things around and re-cabled since

Attachment:
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG [ 67.65 KiB | Viewed 448 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:18 pm 

Sorry to but in, but i have often seen these cabinets in houses (No, really, I have but then they are huge houses, one yesterday was on wheels :shock: ) But my question is, what exactly are they for? what do they do?

No, I am not joking, i am really curious.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:36 am 

Its just a standardised racking system - commercial grade equipment is usually in 19" rack format, In the case of large homes with distributed AV, Networking, Phone systems, Voip and IP camera systems

Its a professional way to install it as the cabling is managed and the power distribution is all self contained

Plus -If you add the word "rackmount" to any hardware you can add a extra zero to the price :roll: :?