DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Estimated meter readings
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:04 pm 

OK I know I'm a grumpy old git. . .

Damn and blasted estimated meter readings! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: ::b ::b ::b

Send somebody to read the meter FFS!

I don't want to be your unpaid meter reader! I pay the bill, that's all the involvement I want or need thanks!

"It's time to give us a meter reading" comes by email.
No it's not! You're not training me like one of Pavlov's dogs! It's time for you to send somebody to read the meter!

"But it saves me money"

No it doesn't! It increases their profits!

And before somebody suggests it, I don't want a smart meter either.
As far as I'm concerned the "smart" comes from the amount the bills usually are!

Rant over!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:07 pm 

I've got so called "smart" meters.. yet still need to submit my readings on-line. However I signed up to the cheaper deal knowing that I had to submit my own readings...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:12 pm 

People with smart meters will be the first to know when power cuts are imminent!

I'm with Dave - the utilities are taking the pizz, more so now they're talking about putting up prices by 15% :cussing:

I think I'll be drafting a letter of complaint if they try to make me 'pay' to have the meter read - this would be seen as a 'fine' by anyone else and my letter would include an invoice for my time and trouble if I'm made to provide them with a reading......

Stand up and be counted. Don't let the barstewards set the rules.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:24 pm 

If you signed up for a cheaper deal that included "self reading" of the meters w-o, then that's fair enough.

The leccy isn't that much trouble to read TBH, but the water is a complete PIA.
It's a something of a point of principle though. Why should I be involved in the process at all, apart from paying up?
Like you k-e, I've actually thought about sending them a bill for reading it! As far as paying to have the meter read, that's already in the standing charge as far as I'm concerned. I don't remember that going down when some bean counter had the idea of estimated bills as a way of making more money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:11 pm 
Pro Carpenter

i read my meter every week and on the 21st i send my reading in every month on the 21st so get an accurate running total every month
as for smart meters do you know they can remotely isolate your power even if they make a mistake and assume your are behind with payment or as kellys-eye says for any reason within legislation

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:16 pm 

big-all wrote:

as for smart meters do you know they can remotely isolate your power even if they make a mistake and assume your are behind with payment or as kellys-eye says for any reason within legislation

I'd like to see them do that with my "smart" Gas meter ?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:20 pm 

I don't want to read my meter every month b-a! I don't want to read it at all! :lol: :lol:
I probably should have said that I get a quarterly bill still for water and leccy (no gas here)
I could probably save by having DDs, but I don't want to have to sort their screw ups out when finding that their calculations are way out!

Don't worry wine~o! Smart meter or not they'll be quick enough to send a bloke out to cut you off if they feel the need!
They'll probably charge you for it as well! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:24 pm 

If they could restrict your gas supply remotely I'm sure they would!

This is called 'demand-side management' which is effectively them telling (and letting you) have energy at their discretion.

Some people have claimed that, since the tariffs can be adjusted remotely, the meters could also be used to gather other forms of revenue or fines - such as a TV licence fee, parking fines etc.

It's but a small step to having this imposed on us all.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 pm 

Dave54 wrote:

Don't worry wine~o! Smart meter or not they'll be quick enough to send a bloke out to cut you off if they feel the need!
They'll probably charge you for it as well! :lol:

Funnily enough when we had the gas "smart" meter fitted the ahem *fitter* decided we had a leak somewhere inside.. because of a minimal loss of pressure or summat; He turned the gas off.

As soon as he'd left I turned it back on again, asked on here for advice... and as the boiler was about due for a service got our local RGI to check everything.... which was fine.

And if I had to by-pass the "smart" part on the 'lecky meter...Not a big issue. :hiding:

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:35 pm 

I have a Smart meter and also the energy monitor thingy. It is quite useful as it has the temperature, dates and stuff which is quite useful. I have it on instant use and I can tell the cost per hour at a glance. Very useful when we go out to check Mrs D has not left anything running like her bloody GHD stylers.

I have never had a reading since it was installed and it works very well. I have to read my gas meter myself and they send me a text when they want a reading. It is only that my meter is easy to read in my garage that it does not irritate me but if it was say in a cupboard under the stairs where I had to move a load of sh*t out to read it then I may feel more like Dave does :lol:

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:47 pm 

Hi,

I pay our utility bills online and I must be one of only a few by the sounds of it that doesn't object to reading our gas/electric meters. By submitting the meter readings online it saves having to put on my winter clothes and hat to brave the weather whilst I wander down to the garage to let the meter reader in which was usually at the most inconvenient times.

Our water is paid for the old way based on our rate-able value which is most likely higher than it should be so I don't need to read a water meter.

During our 40 years marriage Bron and I have remained with British Gas for gas and npower for electric; I can't be bothered spending hours trying to save a couple of quid a week browsing comparison sites; we know people who are very distressed due to changing suppliers but how can all the suppliers be cheaper than each other; I think the way the government has allowed so many utility companies to thrive is scandalous after all if everyone was with just one company then this one company would have massive clout in obtaining the cheapest fuel now they are all fighting each other but then the government call this competition? I don't mind paying for water; gas and electric after all its so easy to take these for granted and we're getting something for our money unlike the rip off council tax.

We don't pay by standing order simply paying the bills in full as they are presented; we pay for the water yearly up front because it's then done with for another year.

We have friends who appear obsessed with their gas/electric bill; I think the company they are with is OVO? They are forever reading their meters and keeping check of usage; there is more to life than money. Bron and I never bother with loyalty cards either just shopping where we want to shop rather than visiting a particular shop just to save a few pence; yes I'm a Yorkshireman who is not money driven nor is Bron who is a Yorkshire lass.

On topic though estimated meter readings don't bother us in the least because we simply don't receive them. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:57 pm 
Pro Carpenter

if you have never swapped gas and electric you are likely to save about £300-£400 if you pay about £1000-£1200 a year
i pay the same £50 a month now as i did about 10-12 years ago partly due to energy efficiencies but mostly by switching every year

my water bill halved with a meter and they read the meter not you
in general more bedrooms than people you will save

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:34 pm 

Water, gas and electricity are all essentials to life these days and should be re-nationalised.

And before anyone brings up the 'nationalisation doesn't work' - I'm not talking about nationalisation in the 'old' sense as it is perfectly possible to run things as a 'collective' (call it co-operative).

The current system simply allows for shareholders to benefit and the people who originally paid for the system to be developed to be 'robbed' of the profits. Profits that could be re-invested or used to maintain low cost energy for everyone.

I'm not communist (as I'm sure you are all aware :lol: ) but there are some things a modern society should do - and ensuring that the essentials of life are made available to everyone and affordably must be one priority???

For this message the author kellys_eye has received thanks - 2: Dave54, Retired
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:48 pm 
Pro Carpenter

they had to double the subsidy to the railways to make them attractive to the institutions so dogma rather than for the best outcome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:50 pm 

And there was I thinking that you were a totally committed communist just like me k-e! :? :mrgreen:
But I agree, essential "stuff" like services should be nationalised, but still run properly, as you say as co-ops.
One thing I wouldn't want though would be for them to be heavily unionised.