DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:36 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:32 pm 

Dave54 wrote:
One thing I wouldn't want though would be for them to be heavily unionised.

God forbid!

A panel made up from a selection of responsible members of the public to oversee terms and conditions of workers and investment seems reasonable - subject to fixed terms of office and non-politicised status.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:42 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:
Dave54 wrote:
One thing I wouldn't want though would be for them to be heavily unionised.

God forbid!

A panel made up from a selection of responsible members of the public to oversee terms and conditions of workers and investment seems reasonable - subject to fixed terms of office and non-politicised status.

Sounds sensible. No reason not to have workers reps there too. Just not organised political representatives.
Also what wouldn't be wanted is "government ownership" with them running things thus having the power to use the utilities to bring down unemployment etc.

Utopian dreams. It won't happen of course because somebody is always ready to make money or advantage in some shape or form from everything. And that doesn't matter what their political hue is or what they might claim to be either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:42 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:
Water, gas and electricity are all essentials to life these days and should be re-nationalised.

Hear hear!

it was a sad day when someone decided that when I make a cup of tea somebody else should make a profit.

I don't mind reading our meters, it's not that onerous and means that I know the figures are correct and gives me an easy insight into how much of each we have used as the previous readings are on show on my suppliers website (PfP energy).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:52 pm 

ayjay wrote:
kellys_eye wrote:
Water, gas and electricity are all essentials to life these days and should be re-nationalised.

I don't mind reading our meters, it's not that onerous and means that I know the figures are correct and gives me an easy insight into how much of each we have used as the previous readings are on show on my suppliers website (PfP energy).

It's not so much the act of reading the meters that I mind, I've already read the leccy (which was what started me off), and paid the bill. The water meter as I said is a PIA, but even so not that bad.

It's the idea that it's theirmeter and their bill which includes a standing charge and incidentally a profit for them that niggles me.
I don't want to be their unpaid employee. I'm bloody sick of them sending me emails with "time to give us a meter reading!

I realise it's pretty petty incidentally! :lol:

It's just that I get a bit sick of them all with their "We care" type BS!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:21 pm 

Dave54 wrote:

It's the idea that it's theirmeter and their bill which includes a standing charge and incidentally a profit for them that niggles me.
I don't want to be their unpaid employee. I'm bloody sick of them sending me emails with "time to give us a meter reading!

I realise it's pretty petty incidentally! :lol:

It's just that I get a bit sick of them all with their "We care" type BS!

But you make the point so well - it's purely because people sit back and accept their pronouncements without any form of reluctance that they get to 'take the pizz' and increase THEIR profit at YOUR expense.

If everyone took your (and my) stance on this (and many other subjects :lol: ) the 'worm would turn' - people would save money and the corporates would start to understand that they work for us - not the other way around.

It is precisely by this method that I argued and got ALL my expenses repaid when I got a recall notice for my Jeep. How many other car users have had a recall notice and blindly co-operated at their own expense to have a fault rectified that was not of their making?

Business has been taking the pizz out of their customers for years (Sky, Insurance, car manufacturers etc) and it's past time they were held to account. I don't apologise to them for being an 'arsey baztard' - I make THEM pay for me being an arsey baztard!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:35 pm 

Thanks. The whole corporate profit thing has got well out of hand IMO.
It's gone from being the idea of making an item, or giving a service of reasonable quality for the price, and making a reasonable profit doing so, to cutting the quality of the item or service with the sole purpose of increasing profit. Meanwhile they put "spin" on everything they write or say to make it look as if they're truly wunnerful.
Nothing wrong with making profit incidentally. Just when it becomes the overwhelming purpose with no other considerations.