DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: EPDM Flat Roof Install
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:45 pm 

It's pretty rare that I do any jobs this size -- it's usually replacing taps, fixing broken toilet cisterns, replacing broken sockets, putting up shelves, etc.

The job was removing an existing felt roof that was at the end of it's useful life, on a ~1960s single story extension, and replacing with an EPDM one. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out (hence posting the pics here :wink: ), however I'm not a roofer, so am happy to take on board any constructive criticism.

It did take me the best part of 2 full days to do -- I expect a seasoned roofer would have it done in a day, but I was going slow as it's the first time I've done any of it and I really didn't want to mess up.

Compression join between it and the felt roof on the neighbouring extension (water cut off mastic, I discovered, is evil stuff to work with -- it really does stick like s**t to a blanket, and your shoes, and your gloves, and everything you touch with your gloves etc), and the EPDM was supplied in two sections so the narrower section at the back of the house was spliced onto the larger section.

Main thing for me was that I got the rubber laid with no wrinkles or creases, as I've seen some installations with wrinkles/bubbles in the rubber and it looks ugly.

Attachments:
File comment: Old, cracked, knackered, felt roof.
FlatRoof-Before.jpg
FlatRoof-Before.jpg [ 353.78 KiB | Viewed 1967 times ]
File comment: Overboarded the existing chipboard deck with 11mm OSB.
FlatRoof-During.jpg
FlatRoof-During.jpg [ 187.26 KiB | Viewed 1967 times ]
File comment: Finished result.
FlatRoof-Finished.jpg
FlatRoof-Finished.jpg [ 246.02 KiB | Viewed 1967 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author chrrris has received gratitude : ultimatehandyman
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:55 am 

Just found a photo on my phone of the whole roof, top-down, from the upstairs window. Maybe it'll help if anyone wants to give me any tips or pointers...

Attachments:
FlatRoof-TopDown.jpg
FlatRoof-TopDown.jpg [ 228.98 KiB | Viewed 1949 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:49 pm 

Id have used 18mm osb3 t&g boards, but 11mm over boarding is okay.
Was it osb, or osb 3
I cut a dead straight line using the termination bar as a guide, run the cut of mastic along the edge, then place the bar central with the screw holes, ( saves the mess ).

Cut a round circle from some 9inch form flash, to tidy the inner corner.

Water based on the deck, contact edges and upstands.
Would have done it in one piece, but if you primed and used 75mm seam tape it is fine.

You've done a good tidy job, it might pay to go on a training course so as you can issue the 20yr guarantee, also learn the secrets not shown on videos. :thumbleft:

For this message the author cotswold builders has received gratitude : chrrris
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:08 pm 

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly the sort of useful advice I was hoping for.

I agree that it would have been better to do the whole roof as one piece -- the website was very good at telling me what things I needed, but I mistakenly went down the "L-shaped roof" path rather than just treating it as a rectangle with a small piece cut out. Still, on the plus side, I got to have a go at using the seam tape, so it's all good experience.

The board I used was 11mm OSB3. I noticed OSB2 is a bit cheaper but wasn't sure if that is suitable for a roof deck (there seems to be conflicting info on the web -- some places sell 11mm OSB2 as "Roof Recovery Board" and other places seem to imply it's only suitable for interior use :dunno: ?). Also, the timber merchant I use only had stock of OSB3 so the decision was made for me on that front.

I'm seriously considering the training course, now you've mentioned it. Would be good to be able to offer the guarantee and also to be on their list of approved fitters.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:28 am 
Newly registered Member

Nice job mate, I've been considering using it on my dormer but it's often quite windy on my roof and I don't fancy having to lay it up there!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:08 am 
Newly registered Member

Would you recommend for an apex roof on my 20x8 shed, the felt keeps letting in rain and we have high winds where the shed is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:34 pm 

Stoveman wrote:
Would you recommend for an apex roof on my 20x8 shed, the felt keeps letting in rain and we have high winds where the shed is.

I would also find such recommendation quite useful, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:56 pm 

Stoveman wrote:

I'd love to be able to offer some advice, but I'm not a roofer. I've done a couple of these EPDM rubber installations now and it seems like a great system for flat roofs (and all the available evidence suggests they're good for 50+ years if properly installed). No idea how easy to fit they are for a pitched shed roof, but I'd guess if done correctly it should last a very long time. Hopefully one of the guys on here with some experience of these things will be able to offer some advice on that.