DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:29 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:32 pm 

if this light is on a lighting ring you should have 3 cables

red and black - in
red and black - out
red (flagged) and black - from the switch

and 3 earths

Red = Brown
Black = Blue

tbh theres either a cable been pushed above the ceiling - explain the tripping or there is a junction box in the loft

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:11 am 
Newly registered Member

It's a typical scenario where either electrician was not competent or sufficiently qualified, I spend at least half a day to fit a consumer unit as I have to check all circuits, label all circuits this means going around the house and checking. You need to have insulation resistance test on ligting circuit and should have been performed on all old circuits before connecting to new consumer did he give you a certificate ?
The reason the new consumer trips is because the old consumer had no rcd possibly no mcb so it would not care all faults need to found and isolated during and after installation you don't just fit, turn on and walk out the door he should have charged around £200 to complete job.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:24 pm 

:director: My 2p worth.

I agree with your sentiment, but you can not realisticly say "he should have charged around £200 to complete job" You do not have all the required information etc (We could debate that one till the cows come home) the other thing is in situations like this you do not know what was said in the first place.

How often have you quoted for changing a consumers unit, and the job includes testing and checking everything and you do not get the job because of price?
All Joe public wants is a new CU, to them you just change one box for another with new "switches on it" the old one worked fine, so if this one goes wrong its your fault.

Joe public does not understand what an RCD is for, or what a borrowed neutral is, all they see is ££££££

So when it "goes wrong" because they would not pay to have it tested, its no wonder the electrician who did the job is "not interested" (yes its not right, as it should have been tested, but the person will not pay for that) so they look for answers on a forum.............

[This post is meant as a generalisation, no ill will is intended to anyone]

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : multiman