Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:00 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hopefully you experts can help me out. We have loving restored our Victorian house on a total shoestring, doing a lot ourselves, the last room is the bathroom and we are clueless so we’ve hired s plumber and our friend is a plasterer/decorator and has done a ton of standard domestic tiling for the council (he did a great job of all our other tiles but he’s never come across the giant encaustic cement tiles we have bought, and I want to be specific about how we fit them!)

We’re doing a total rip out and refit of our bathroom and will mostly be tiling in metro tiles, but one wall (along the length of the bath) will have three rows of Mexican encaustic cement tiles instead.

They’re 20x20cm and 16mm thick and each weigh 1.4kg.
Here’s the link to the retailer’s advice:
http://besttile.ie/Cement-Tile-Fitting-Sealing-and-Maintenance

The tiles will be fitted along an external brick wall, under a window and on top of the bath, and so far my questions are:

So...we strip off all old tiles and any plasterboard on this wall because it won’t take the weight of these tiles? Do we then just use sand/cement to re-render the wall we just wrecked, seal it (with what?) then tile?

Or do we rip out and put up something like Hardiebacker?

If we use that, when do we use a primer (like BAL APD?)
Do we tile straight onto the Hardiebacker? And do we use regular plasterboard on the rest of the wall? (it’s a standard bath, no shower)

I know we use a flexible tile adhesive...but which one?
What type of notched trowel thing for tiles this heavy?
I know we seal the tiles at least three times, ensuring they are clean and dry, using a 1mm joint in light grout to avoid staining...which grout do I get though?

How do we ensure they stick well and safely at that weight??

What do we do about that thickness of tile sitting along the back bath rim...pull the bath out a little and batten behind the bath and tile onto that?? We can’t dig channels into the walls for the bath or we’d have no rim left to surface-mount our central taps with such thick tiles!

(I found this bath advice online:
“Firstly put bath in position, level it, make recesses into wall or walls (as its unlikely to find perfect 90 degree walls). Fix bath into position connecting plumbing and waste, fill up bath with water, check if bath is level again, seal around bath to walls with a good quality silicone, tile on top of bath and seal again after grouting. The double sealing reduces the risk of water leaking”)

Please help, I’m clearly a total amateur who needs help to get my guys to do this unusual job right!
Thanks for reading.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+